The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 02:26 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Scott A4 10' 4wt

Anyone out there use one of these , if so what are your thoughts on it.

I need a new rod like a need a hole in the head but with the winter time blues about to set in, plus the Denver Fly Fishing Show in 2 months. The thought of a medium fast long 4wt is rolling around in my head again.

I have a 9' 4wt Z-axis for bigger water I am ok with the faster rod on bigger water

Have 9' 4wt legend ultra, love this medium-fast 4wt for nymphing rivers like the Poudre and Big T

I have a TXL 4710-3 for nymphing smaller water like Boulder Creek

While I love all of them , I just would like a 10' med-fast 4wt, although that would relegate the Legend Ultra to a rare companion. I am a fan boy of $800 rods but thanks to uncle sam and life in general this year I will be looking at more moderately priced gear. If you can consider $400 rod moderate

Or do I go big and go 11' with a Grey's XF2

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 11-10-2013, 05:49 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Scott A4 10' 4wt

Used to have a A4 10' 4wt a while ago. Sold it after fishing it for a few months, did not like it one bit. Primary issue - the rod was extremely tip heavy & the tip was too floppy almost felt like there was a hinge point between the bottom 2/3rd and top 1/3 of the rod blank. Another issue was that the rod felt really heavy…probably related to the tip heavy balance. Never could find a line that worked with the rod, tried the SA Mastery trout WF4F, Sage Perf Taper DT4F, Wulff TT WF4F & the Rio Gold WF4F.

I have used / own rods ranging from the Loomis Streamdance GLX, Z Axis, ZXL, G2 & the Boron IIT's and love them all. I even like my Granger & Phillipson Bamboos…but for some reason never could warm up to the Scott A4 10' 4.

I briefly fished the Greys Streamflex 10' 4 and loved it. If you are interested in a long 4 wt….I would suggest you give that one a try.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:09 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Thank you,

I appreciate the feedback. I used a friend of mines Hardy Marksman in a 10' 4wt earlier this spring and I liked it. I just might have to look around for one of those.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 11-11-2013, 12:03 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I recently finished a 10' 4wt Quickline blanks. It is more fast action than the medium fast you're looking for, but I've enjoyed fishing it. Great for nymphing and threw some dries. Responsive, casts well.

If you're still looking in January and want to give it a wiggle, I'll see if I can get it up to the show while you're there.