The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 07:10 PM

95chevy will become famous soon enough
Default Fly rod storage

Well its getting to be winter time here in pa so for me fishing is over. But I have a few questions before I put the gear away. First being, is there anything I should or need to do to properly store my rod and reel? And the second is the line. Can that stay on the reel all winter long. I am keeping the rod/reel in my room so it wont be cold (if that matters) thanks for any help. Also, ive been looking on here for how to clean the line and I think ive found the answer. I think I can just wash it with soapy water ib the sink, is that a good way? Thanks for any help.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4
Old 11-11-2013, 08:25 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly rod storage

#1 be sure it is all dry before storing it. I don't think cold temps will really hurt it, but inside is fine. I'd keep it out for a bit to be sure it is dry then put it in the tube / case and you're good to go. If you're worried you could leave the tube open a bit but don't think it is necessary. I do think a lot of exhaust fumes can be problematic for some stuff but I don't know if a normal garage has enough to be an issue. I keep some indoor and some in the garage.

ps I assume you're talking about graphite rods, if you're talking bamboo it might take a bit more care.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:58 PM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Fly rod storage

My 6 winstons stay in a multi rod carrier,my fly lines are cleaned and recoated with rio fly line restorer and kept on their reels.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:24 PM

I forgot to mention it is a graphite rod. I will put a dececant pack in the case for safe measure. And next time im at cabelas ill pick up some if that restorer. I fished alot of ponds with scum on the top so the line got pretty dirty the first 60 feet or so. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:58 AM
mtbusman has a spectacular aura aboutmtbusman has a spectacular aura about

I believe in cleaning lines, especially if you fish water that has lots of algae or other stuff in it.

I've used the SA fly line cleaner pad and the SA fly line dressing on my SA floating lines. Those work great. Just follow the directions on the products.

I recently acquired some Rio lines. Rio offers a cleaning cloth called "Wonder Cloth" and Rio has their own fly line dressing, "Agent X," I think it's called. These products work well, too.

One thing I learned on the Rio website was not to use things like Amor All on pvc coated fly lines -- they can speed up the "de-plasticizing" process. (Not sure I got the right word there -- they can speed up the aging process of the lines.) (Thirty years ago I used to wash my lines with liquid dish detergent and then treat them with Armor All to make them shoot better -- the dish detergent was OK, but the Amor all was wrong.)

If you go to the Rio Website, and go to care and cleaning of lines, they have some instructional videos for how to clean your fly lines.

And remember, the fly line dressings I mentioned are for use on floating lines. Just clean the sinking lines, don't put dressing on them.

---------- Post added at 02:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 AM ----------

Storing fly lines: if you have a modern large arbor reel, you can just leave them on the reel.

Today's lines are supposed to resist "memory" or staying coiled when you strip them out next Spring. In the old days, I used to strip my lines off my reels and store them by wrapping them around a round Quaker Oats carton, it helped them resist the coiling effect. We can be happy that we don't need to do things like that anymore.

Storing Rods: what everybody else said. Main thing is, make sure they are totally dry. The rod tube or other rod case is the safest place.

Reels: depends on what you have. On my old spring and pawl reels, I clean them, dry them and lube them up before I put them away, preferrably in their own case. Modern reels with sealed drags and spindles that don't require lubrication, just clean them and make sure they are dry before you put them in their case or other safe place.
Hardyreels and fredaevans like this.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:23 AM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Another thing about storing reels. Make sure you back your drags down.

Jim
Old 11-12-2013, 07:12 AM

arreflections is on a distinguished road

I clean mine but fish during the winter time. Being in PA, do you have steelhead access?
Old 11-12-2013, 07:32 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

DISH DETERGENT is bad on any fly lines. Ivory SOAP is fine to clean them. use the manufacturers recommended stuff on all the new lines since they have different properties. MUSILIN is not good on new lines either. anything that is made with a petroleum base will break down a fly line. ARMORALL was ok on the old lines(early PVC) but not good on anything since the early 80's.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-12-2013, 08:19 AM

Ive never heard of using armor all but I can see how its not good. I think I will get the fly line cleaner that was mentioned (or similar) the next time I go to cabelas. As for access to steelhead, honestly I dont know where I could go to fish them. I dont have weighters yet (that's why im limited to summer at this point) but this coming season im going to buy some so I dont need to be held back to either fishing in ponds or fishing from the bank.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:51 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

All good advice; no to detergent, yes to soap, YES to DRY. After an extended trip, particularly to the salt or a dirty river, the rods come into the shower with me and get rubbed down well by hand so no detritus or deposits remain in the recess around guides or the reel seat. If the cork has gotten too dark and slippery from blood, sweat and tears and sunscreen, a little SoftScrub can clean it up nicely. Do not use abrasive cleaners on the rod though. Reels can be rinsed in warm water, even soaked in the sink for a little while, then rinsed again. Cork drag reels should be cleaned with the drag set tight so as to not rinse out the lubricants in the cork, then set to zero to dry. Removing the spool from the reel enhances drying after which it can be re-lubed (if necessary) and stored in a dark place. UV, ozone, and other environmental degraders need to be avoided. Lines can be left on reels as long as they are cleaned and not wound on too tightly. Remember, PVC coated lines obtain their slickness from imbedded plasticizers in the coating which perpetually are migrating to the lines surface. When their life span is up is when old lines stop looking shiny and start to crack. Armorall is ill advised as it accelerates plasticizer migration. Really, mild dish soap diluted with water is all that is needed to clean lines but I confess to spending money on SA's and RIO's cleaning products too though I am uncertain they are necessary.

While allowing your tackle to thoroughly dry, which may take a few days of sitting around on your desk being admired (my desk ALWAYS has a couple of rods and reels on it) cases and rod tubes should be left open as well to assure no latent moisture is hidden there either. Same deal with fly boxes; they can be left open (in non windy locations if flies are in compartments) to be completely dry before storage too. Even my fishing hats that have become sweat and salt impregnated get to come into the shower and get soaped up then hung on a door knob to dry a couple times a season. The hardest thing for me to clean is my Simms water repellent boat bag. Between the flats north and south in the Spring and Montauk in the Fall, you cant even tell what color the thing is it is so salt encrusted. I have to remove everything from it, washing it reveals how not water proof it is and it takes days to really dry...but it is done, repacked and ready for Spring Training in the Bahamas now.

Some rod makers, even of plastic rods, suggest rods should be vertically hung in their looped rod sleeves (yes, that is what that loop is for!) in a dark closet for the Winter. If I did that we would have to get rid of all our clothes to make room in the closets so I leave my clean, dry rods in their tubes stacked vertically in my office for storage. On trips, even for just a couple of days, they come out of their tubes and bundle in a single multi rod travel tube...I have one for four rods and another for eight. If anyone wants to recommend a new piece of equipment to me it would be a solid, travel tube for five rods as that is my standard multi river trout trip quiver.