The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 11:42 AM

polarbearco is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Apples to Apples line weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
They laugh at me. "It would not be worth the extra packaging and SKU's for the miniscule percentage of fly fishers that would care about or be able to even detect the difference"
While you and I, and many in these forums may benefit, I agree with Rio. Ask yourself how many times you have seen a guy in waders, boots, a vest, and a net on his back slapping the water with his line like he's trying to scare fish instead of catch them? At least half the guys I encounter on the water are lousy casters. You think they are going to notice a difference in half a weight of Rio Gold?

On the other hand, I think Rio already has all the SKUs. If they killed off the Grand line, and just gave the Gold 1/2 or 1/3 sizes they could really simplify their product line. They could borrow a play from Sage and call it Rio One. They could have also combined the technology with the new Perception... and just come out with the Rio One in 1/3 sizes... instead of having three different products completely.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:39 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

All good points. I will demure commenting on some of the angling technique I observe on some rivers. I will say I have tried RIO Grande on several rods and the only one I have found it to be an optimal match for is TFO BVK. It is not a line I would miss and I feel similarly about the more popular SA GPX...though it too has found a home on one rod, Scott's well replaced S3.

I do not know, but I anticipate that RIO's low stretch Perception technology will not rest with their initial introduction and will expand to encompass several tapers. I would be surprised not to see a Gold version of it and surely it is applicable to a saltwater flats line. I fail to grasp both RIO's and SA's logic that if a rod would benefit from as incrementally heavier (or lighter) line, why does it need a clunky taper instead of a 1/2 size + good taper? Oh! That is unless they are designing it especially for the water slappers you have been observing.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:54 PM

mtbusman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I fail to grasp both RIO's and SA's logic that if a rod would benefit from as incrementally heavier (or lighter) line, why does it need a clunky taper instead of a 1/2 size + good taper? Oh! That is unless they are designing it especially for the water slappers you have been observing.
You and I both know that we live in a world that wants quick and easy answers or solutions. Build a fly rod that just about casts itself and people will buy it. Make a fly line that makes it easier to cast one of those rods and people will buy it.

I personally have profited from this, so I don't want to demean it. I'm just saying that this is a function of the marketplace.

I'd like to think that I'm a better caster now, but recently I bought a rod with some amazing capabilities for both short and longer casts, different types casts, etc., and it made me realize that I could use a casting class, after thirty years of flyfishing, just so I can get the most out of my rod.

But, yeah, I think tackle manufacturers are supplying gear for those who are slapping the water out there. But I feel I should be careful how I talk, because I used to be one of them.
timd likes this.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:39 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

First thing I ever hooked with my first fly rod was the seat of my blue jeans. There were no fly casting clinics and video had yet to be invented so, like generations before me, I was self taught. Decades of experience latter, I instruct fly casting twice a month year round, yet I am still a student too. I had a blast last Spring attending an FFF Casting Rendezvous at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center. The place was loaded with great casters from all over and I definitely and humbly took advantage of the opportunity to work with some guys on deeply ingrained anomalies in my stroke. A big part of improving your casting is identifying your strengths and weaknesses.

Without capable casting technique it is mere guess work as to how differing rod designs work for you and what lines represent an optimal match with that rod. Golfers, tennis players, baseball and football players both amateur and professional all work with coaches and pros...but not fly casters. Some how, we know better.
fly2field likes this.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:09 PM

throssing is on a distinguished road

I have 5 rods that are nominally 9 ft 5 wt rods, and each of them takes a slightly different line to perform optimally. Each of them serves a slightly different function for me, too. For casting small to medium sized flies, I use my Loomis NRX LP and a true 5 weight line. For throwing big nymphs I use an old St Croix Legend Elite with a 6 weight line. In between these extremes, I cast a GPX line with my Hardy Zenith (all around use), or an Orvis Helios or Loomis GLX classic for windy conditions or multi fly rigs.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:14 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

My take:

Different strokes for different folks.

Different rods for different strokes.

Different lines for different rods.

Seems simple to me.

CAB
Old 11-21-2013, 11:26 PM

polarbearco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
My take:

Different strokes for different folks.

Different rods for different strokes.

Different lines for different rods.

Seems simple to me.

CAB
Yeah. Now can you explain that to my wife why I "need" several rods, several reels, several spools, and several lines? Can you explain to her why I have spools that have never been lined, but are waiting for that line I must have? LOL

Old 11-22-2013, 07:30 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbearco View Post
Yeah. Now can you explain that to my wife why I "need" several rods, several reels, several spools, and several lines? Can you explain to her why I have spools that have never been lined, but are waiting for that line I must have? LOL

I said: Seems simple to ME.

Please don't ask me to explain anything to a female. Of any species.

CAB
craigthor likes this.