The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default If You're Done Fishing For Awhile, Have You Checked Your Rods?

I know that we have had a recent post about storing a rod for winter but I thought I'd tell what I found last week.

I went on an ill fated steelhead trip and at one point I screwed the lid off of the wrong rod tube. I guess I was excited when I reached the access area and when I removed the cap and started to pull the rod bag out I noticed it was that of a Winston rod and not the Hardy I was after. Something else I noticed was that the rod bag seemed wet

When I had returned home I remembered the damp bag and pulled the rod out to see what was up. What was up was mildew on the bag and the cork grips of the rod. No worries, I hand washed the bag with soap and a touch of bleach and cleaned the corks in the same way.

If you're like me; meaning you have more rods than you should, you better check them all out right about now. It seems that the rod in question here was a 15' seven weight 2 hander that I last used in August That would be August when it rained a lot. On inspection everything looks as though it were still new but checking all your rods for dampness when they were put away is something we should do.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-15-2013, 06:14 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of
Default Re: If You're Done Fishing For Awhile, Have You Checked Your Rods?

Good point Ard. I had the bottom part of a real seat pop off because of that. I only had one rod with me so I used (you guessed it) duct tape for the day then when all was dry I glued the seat back on.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:14 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Also leaving water on rods long term can cause bubbles in the clear coating of the rod as well. Only seen it once but it can happen.
Hardyreels and fredaevans like this.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:37 PM

ia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to all

If you a happen to own a boat, double check ALL your storage lockers as they may not be as water tight as they used to be. Messed up the cork on a new St Croix Musky rod a few years ago.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:48 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

These are all great tips folks. Looks like I will be doing a rod/reel check this weekend.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 11-15-2013, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Since I'm not a reel dunker I don't sweat the reels much but I have coated all my lines with Mucilin and wiped them down. If you are a dunker, you should set it out to dry outside of the reel case.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:22 PM

Location: Central PA. Surrounded by the best trout water in the entire country.
pa cope will become famous soon enoughpa cope will become famous soon enough

Please, please, please, when you are back at your vehicle, done for the day, put your rod back in its tube. I have friends, who are for the lack of a better term, lazy, who break their rods down half way and then throw them in the back of their trucks. These same guys then can't figure out why they have bent line guides, chipped finish, and or broken sections!!! You have to much money invested in these beauties to just treat them willy nilly.
craigthor likes this.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:53 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

guess I should change my method as I usually break the rod down and put in one of those cases that allows the reel to remain on the grip section. I do usually open up the reel cover portion so the reel and line will dry but guess I should remove the rod sections for a good drying session each time as well.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:15 PM
Administrator

I'd only get concerned if the rod was soaked by rain and I knew the inside of the case got wet also. Otherwise it sounds like you are doing fine. The rod I mentioned in the original post here was in the 'I shoulda known' category. It rained every day that I used it, it was raining when I broke it down. Those cloth bags hold water and once I screwed the cap on it was not going to end well. I'm just glad I discovered that before next May.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:53 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Good advice through a painful experience Ard. I haul my rods around in a multi rod rube an throw some dessicant packs in them just to be safe. When I'm off the river, the rods all come out until dry when I clean them down. I'm kinda fussy about my tackle but there are days when I get sloppy.

Glad to hear all is well with your rods!
Hardyreels and von behr like this.