The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 04:21 PM

ctshooter has a spectacular aura aboutctshooter has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Bamboo project

Finally got some time to figure this out, the rod is 8.5' marked "SportKing" "M/30"

What I was able to find out is it's mid 40's early 50's, the bag has the remains of a "Montagues" label on it, and it was probably sold in a catalog outlet.

The bad, one furrel is cracked, one guide is missing, and it needs attention on the wraps. The good, it has 2 tips, one is complete, it is in over all good condition, and when I stuck my 6wt reel on it, it casts wonderful, so it's probably a 5/6 weight and it feels a lot like my 4wt which is a med/fast action.

I will probably rewrap the guides, give it a light sanding, coat of varnish, and go fish. I also now know for sure my other rod is not a 6wt, with 2 out of 3 "properly" set up rods I can most of the time make a halfway decent cast.

Yeah me
Old 11-22-2013, 04:49 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Sport King was sold by Montgomery Ward and I'm pretty sure you're right about it being a Monty
Without any further unforeseen issues, I'd say that your $30 was spent wisely

Old 11-23-2013, 08:58 PM

Ok, so knowing it was cheap, it's not really a collectors item, it needs some work anyway...

Any downside to stripping it down to bare and starting over?
Old 11-24-2013, 01:39 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

No, I've done a few. I have written it out at length here too many times, I should have made a copy and stickyed it. I'll try to be brief but not leave things out.

1. Cut old wraps carefully with razor and remove all guides but leave ferrules.
2. use a regular chemical stripper to remove varnish, this may take 3 or 4 goes before it's bare.
3. You'll need to source ferrules if one is screwed up you'll need a whole set.
4. I never re-varnished any, I dipped in linseed oil - hung - dried - and buffed

Stay away from sanding a cane rod, if you feel you must do something prior to re-finish use 600 steel wool. If you plan to varnish tack it before finish is applied.

What about the reel seat and grip........... I always changed them if I stripped a rod and gave them an upgrade.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-24-2013, 01:34 PM

Now:
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Grip and reel seat look good from here, I would leave them, the silk color is nice are you going to use the same color? Almost everyone wraps with thread now, it will be good to learn with but if you continue searching for bamboo to refurbish and find a gem you may want to choose silk. I can't easily explain the difference but you'll see it soon as you apple the second coat of varnish to the dressings.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-24-2013, 03:39 PM

I'm not sure if I want black guides or silver, furrules are all getting replaced, silk and varnish finish, I have silk thread already.

I really like the idea of a rosewood reel seat insert, I already have the wood, white silk wraps with a burgundy trim wrap, no color preserver, varnish finish, saw a picture of something like that, it sort of stuck
Old 11-24-2013, 03:45 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Me....?
If that's a nickle silver reel seat, there's no way I would change it.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:24 PM

I have no way of telling what it's made of?

It polished up pretty nice.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:31 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctshooter View Post
I have no way of telling what it's made of?

It polished up pretty nice.
I know diddle about reel seats but that sure looks like polished stainless (nickel alloy). Is it magnetic at all?