The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 02:25 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default line suggestion for Zenith 10' 3wt

Hi, I took advantage of the recent sales on the prior version of the Zenith rods and purchased a 10ft 3wt rod, primarily for nymphing but also plan to use for dry-dropper fishing. I intend to use this rod for small - medium sized streams (tailgaters, spring creeks) & the fly sizes will be < 12.

I am hoping that someone has used this rod and can suggest a suitable fly line for this application (70% nymphing + 30% dry or dry-dropper)?

I read the reviews on the 4wt and the 5wt Zeniths but could not find one for the 10' 3wt model. This particular rod has quite a soft tip and I have a feeling that the lighter (normal) line weights will be ideal (versus the GPX or the latest Gold)

Thanks
Old 11-18-2013, 05:46 PM

Location: Central PA. Surrounded by the best trout water in the entire country.
pa cope will become famous soon enoughpa cope will become famous soon enough
Default Re: line suggestion for Zenith 10' 3wt

I have fished this rod with a SA Sharkskin Ult. Trout taper 4 wt. Let me tell ya, that setup for me was a home run ! The feel with this rod is phenomenal. You know exactly where and what your nymphs are doing. You'll know what I'm talking about the first time you nymph with it. My buddy hated it. Go figure. It easily handles fish in the 16-18" range. I didn't try any dry action with it, being a nymph nut and all. My best bud hated it. Go figure. He purchased the 4 wt. You're going to love it. Tight lines, Jeff.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:28 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Jeff,
Appreciate the advice on the line, I can see how the SA trout taper would be a good fit on this rod. I am looking forward to taking it out on a local tailwater once they stop the drawdown.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:40 AM

geordie41 is on a distinguished road

G,day mate I have a 9ft 3# hardy Zenith I use a S.A. VPT on my rod it loads the rod perfectly.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:29 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

My 4 & 5 wt. zenith one piece like S A texture trout stalker line .
Old 11-19-2013, 11:04 AM

throssing is on a distinguished road

I would go with the GPX. If you are going to be nymphing at short distances, this will load the rod better.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:05 PM

polarbearco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
Hi, I took advantage of the recent sales on the prior version of the Zenith rods and purchased a 10ft 3wt rod
I hope you took advantage of Sierra Trading Post. They recently had a 35% off + free shipping coupon. It isn't supposed to include Hardy rods, but I got both a 3wt and 4wt Hardy Zenith in 8' lengths for $600 shipped.

)

They currently have a 35% + FS code "SITESWEET1113." The 10' rods would be $350 shipped, plus any tax.

The 9' 3wt would be $306 and the 8' 3 or 4wt are $291 + taxes right now with the coupon. That's unbeatable!!