The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 12:20 AM

shoch04 is on a distinguished road
Default 6wt or 7wt Streamer Rod for Northeast Trout?

I am looking to purchase either a 6wt or 7wt rod to be used almost solely for streamer fishing (Kelly Galloup style) with sinking lines on rivers like the Farmington, the Housatonic and the Deerfield. Occasionally I plan to put on some floating line on and try some mousing as well.

Based on what I have read, I think the 7wt rod will be easier to cast but I am worried it won't be much fun with 16-24 inch trout. Having never fished with either a 6wt or a 7wt I need some advice on what to get.

If it helps, I am looking at getting either a Hardy zenith or a St Croix bank robber.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 11-19-2013, 02:12 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6wt or 7wt Streamer Rod for Northeast Trout?

Be realistic on the payloads that you intend to throw.

Think about it this way.

If you intend to throw Galloup style flies with integrated heads up to 225 grains (30 foot length), many fast action six weight rods can throw those payloads.

If you are intending to throw those flies with integrated heads up to 275 grains (maybe 300), you may want to consider a seven weight.

I do not have any experience with the Bank Robber, but the Zenith in the six and seven will make fine streamer sticks. They can throw their respective payloads, but they still maintain a good fishable feel (meaning they don't feel dead).

Dennis
Hardyreels and ts47 like this.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:46 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Steve,

Dennis is much more up to date with the new rods than I but I'll comment on catching 16 - 24" trout. For ten years now I've lived in Alaska, here I took up fishing with 2 hand rods because they enable me to fish places where I would otherwise struggle having back cast room. One of my favorite rods is an 8 weight Hardy which is 13' long. I catch trout that are 12" long on that rod very often and it is always fun. The beauty of heavy rods is that there are no fish too small and few too large.

Years ago a 6 or 7 weight was considered normal for streamer fishing although I threw plenty of big flies and lead heads with #5 rods also. I would suggest a longer rod for streamers if that will be your forte. I fished them for many years using rods between 6'9" and 9' and then moved to 10'. What a difference that foot made, then just 4 years ago I bought a 13' rod and never looked back. The line control and range I have with these rods is something I wish I'd had for the past 40 years.

I still use regular rods when I fish on creeks but on a river nothing shorter than 13'.

Welcome to the forum Steve

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-19-2013, 03:09 AM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Like Dennis said, you should be fine with a fast 6wt or a 7wt for the type of fishing you intend to do. They are not too much rod for 16-24" trout and you will definitely still have a fight on your hands. Here recently I have got into switch rods for streamers. They can cast heavy flies and sink tips much more efficiently and cover a lot more water than a single hander. If you are fishing from a boat, or if the river is pretty small you might be better of with a single hander. But if the river is medium-large and you primarily wade fish, I don't see a reason why you wouldn't want to use a 2 hander. Something along the lines of a Sage TCX 11'9" 5wt would be SWEET for what you are describing I think. Chucking a heavy ass sculpin and a 10ft sink tip 80ft would be almost effortless.

-Chase
jaybo41 and pa cope like this.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:09 AM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about

I run a 6wt with a sink tip when I'm wade fishing and throwing articulated flies. Then I have a 7wt with a 280 grain line when throwing large streamers from the boat. Pro's and con's to each but if throwing a really heavy line I don't feel it as much at the end of the day with the 7wt. Smaller fish are still fun on the 7wt so I wouldn't worry about that.

I would probably look at what other weight rods you have. I assume you have a 5wt so a move up to a 6 really isn't that big of a step. You could probably target more species in addition to accomplishing your goal with the 7wt.
ts47 likes this.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:05 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chased View Post
Like Dennis said, you should be fine with a fast 6wt or a 7wt for the type of fishing you intend to do. They are not too much rod for 16-24" trout and you will definitely still have a fight on your hands. Here recently I have got into switch rods for streamers. They can cast heavy flies and sink tips much more efficiently and cover a lot more water than a single hander. If you are fishing from a boat, or if the river is pretty small you might be better of with a single hander. But if the river is medium-large and you primarily wade fish, I don't see a reason why you wouldn't want to use a 2 hander. Something along the lines of a Sage TCX 11'9" 5wt would be SWEET for what you are describing I think. Chucking a heavy ass sculpin and a 10ft sink tip 80ft would be almost effortless.

-Chase
I used that same stick swinging streamers lined with Rio's Switch Chucker and a sink tip over the weekend all I can say is WOW Talk about effortless casting! Given the size, its a light rod that was easy to cast single handed as well as the obvious 2 hand. That's a great suggestion if you're open to two handed rods.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:28 PM
featherandfinblog

I'm from CT and fish the same water as you and wholeheartedly recommend a 6wt Bank Robber with sinking tip streamer express line. It is quite literally made for galloup style flies. We recently ran a gear review on it if you want to learn more.

Spencer Knibbe
Featherandfinblog.com
Old 11-29-2013, 06:01 PM

shoch04 is on a distinguished road

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond to my question! I appreciate it.

Spencer I would definitely like to read the gear review that you wrote.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 11-30-2013, 11:57 AM

throssing is on a distinguished road

The 6 weight Zenith throws big streamers pretty well, but if your primary focus is streamer fishing, I would go with the 7 weight.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:40 PM

Waterborne has a spectacular aura aboutWaterborne has a spectacular aura about

I don't fish rivers where 80' casts are needed.

My Kelly Galloup streamer rod is a 9' 6wt TFO BVK. I use a Konic 2 with full sink line (as per Kelly Galloup), but keep a spool of floating line in case I get bored chucking chickens and rabbits.

I had a BVK in 7wt for the salt. I wouldn't dare use it on a trout stream unless I was ONLY targeting trophy pigs.