The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 10:09 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Anyone have any Orvis inside info on when...

..on when they are going to list the new fiberglass Superfines on their website ? Aren't they suppose to be on the market in January ? I just figured we would have seen some 'build-up to release day' on their site.

Mike
Old 11-21-2013, 11:41 AM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone have any Orvis inside info on when...

Mike,

I've been wondering about the same thing. Both the Superfine glass rods and the new USA-made (Abel) CFO's are supposed to be available in January. I would have expected something on their site by now.

-VB
Old 11-21-2013, 01:15 PM

attila will become famous soon enough

January is what I've been hearing too.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:18 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Mike,

Today, I met with an Orvis rep and was able to put my hands on the glass rods. I did some test casting of the 4 wt and the 3 wt. The rods have a simple beauty that appeals to me. The quality and workmanship are flawless. The khaki-olive blank with the brown wraps add to the retro vibe. It was like shooting marbles with an old agate instead of a new glass one.

The 4 wt is a 7'6" and has a faster action than I expected. It has the full flex of fiberglass without feeling like a noodle. The 4 wt feels like it can handle a wide range of fishing scenarios. The 3 wt is 7' and was much more like a buggy whip and what I expected of a glass rod in terms of feel. Both of them were smooth and accurate to cast, and I appreciated the difference in the way they felt.

I would say the 4 wt has a deep and satisfying medium action that will appeal to a wider audience of fly casters.

The 3 wt is definitely a slow action rod, more like cane.

When you have the opportunity, try all of them, because their actions are very different.

The Orvis rep said the marketing and advertising blitz should hit in the next week or so. I hope this helps.

By the way, I cast several other rods today, including the Redington Butter Sticks in both 3 wt and 4 wt. They had very soft, slow actions, and I would say both were slower than the Orvis rods. The 4 wt Butter Stick had an uplocking reel seat, while the 3 wt had traditional friction rings. I didn't care for the butter yellow color at all. The Orvis colors are more my style than the Redingtons.

All three of the Orvis rods had identical hardware with uplocking reel seats, which I find preferable. I snapped one pic with my phone:

Click the image to open in full size.

-VB

Last edited by von behr; 11-30-2013 at 10:23 PM. Reason: update photo size
Old 11-25-2013, 01:11 AM

arreflections is on a distinguished road

I have heard they are decent. Being a fiberglass rod, you may want to check out the forum known for fiberglass sticks...