The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 08:25 AM

frank60 is on a distinguished road
Default small rod choice for big flies

Hello All

My name is Frank and i am new to this forum, where i live (Denmark) i dont have alot of trout streams, but i have a god time with my fly fishing fro yellow perch with my 4 weigth 8 fod rod, but now i want a shorter rod for this fishing, a 7 foot i think, it should handle small poppers and streamers to size 6. i was thinking of the Ovis acces 7 foot 4 # but i dont now the rod, are there anyone here WHO know this rod? or have other rods in that length that can handle these flies. I hope somone can help me with that Little problem.

Regards to you all

Frank
Old 11-21-2013, 08:42 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: small rod choice for big flies

Why exactly are you looking for a shorter rod? Are you fishing from a boat? Tight spots? If not... I really don't see the appeal... Longer rods benefit the angler more when the space allows
Old 11-21-2013, 09:06 AM

Hello

Its very tight spots, sometimes i am on my belly to cast, and never over knee hight.

Frank
Old 11-21-2013, 09:51 AM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

Hi Frank.
Nice to see a fellow dane on the forum.

Kim.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:01 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Have you thought about glass? You can find short glass rods in bigger weights that'll handle bigger lines for bigger flies... And will have an awesome "fish on" feel to it...
Old 11-21-2013, 12:54 PM

Hi Again

Yes i would like a glass rod, but but! It is hard to get a glass rod in denmark, the Hardy is to soft, and Steffen wont send one blanks to denmark and Mcfarland takes 100 years to deliver, and last when i buy from usa the Danish state wont 40-50 % on the prize incl. postage. i have a brand new Hardy "The Test" a nice rod but not for what i am asking for. hope you can read my pure English

Frank
PS. anyone WHO know the orvis acces rods?

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Hi Kim

Thanks for your regards

Frank
Old 11-21-2013, 02:58 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Not sure if you are fishing a short line, or if you need to reach out with longer casts. Depending on your needs, you may want to take a look at these rods. They are some what specialized and not for everyone -

brunsell "li'l streamer"

These rods do shoot line surprisingly well for their size.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 11-21-2013, 07:26 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank60 View Post
Hello All

My name is Frank and i am new to this forum, where i live (Denmark) i dont have alot of trout streams, but i have a god time with my fly fishing fro yellow perch with my 4 weigth 8 fod rod, but now i want a shorter rod for this fishing, a 7 foot i think, it should handle small poppers and streamers to size 6. i was thinking of the Ovis acces 7 foot 4 # but i dont now the rod, are there anyone here WHO know this rod? or have other rods in that length that can handle these flies. I hope somone can help me with that Little problem.

Regards to you all

Frank
First welcome to the Zoo.

But to your question. Fly rods (line weight) are self limiting as to what kind/size fly they can realistically handle. "... i think, it should handle small poppers and streamers to size 6." I strongly think you'll not find a 4wt (regardless of manufacturer) will handle these types of flies.

Far more knowledgeable folks will correct the following: With a 4wt you're looking at flies from perhaps an unweighted size 8 and down. Once you get to a size 10 then you can go to bead heads. One probable exception to this are flies where they incorporate 'foam' in the construction.

These are light as can be and the only down side is 'wind resistance.' But 'size' will still be an 'issue.' It is what it is .......

Fred
Old 11-28-2013, 11:09 AM

Hello All

Thank for your comments all. I just got a Orvis Clearwater 7 foot 4 weigth, and its a rocket it can handle these big flies and poppers with no problem.
Thanks
Frank