The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 06:48 AM

nir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura aboutnir has a spectacular aura about
Default Typical question : what wt tp choose?!?!?!?

OK, this questions has been asked a bazillion times!! But here it goes, because I am a little confused and could use a few opinions!

I currently have a 4wt that I use for small streams and crappies. I also own a 6wt that I use for bass and trout fishing. It's a great rod, but it sometimes lacks a bit of power for those bigger streamers and poppers.

So, here is my dilemma. I am looking to get a new rod. At first I had my eyes set on an 8 wt. Figured this rod would handle the bigger poppers better, but I was thinking I could also use it for throwing some pike flies and maybe fish for strippers and such on the east/west coast.

The team at Allen FF pointed out that an 8 wt might be too small for pike/stripper and that a 9 or even 10wt might be better.

I figure the rod will be used mostly for warmwater fishing for bass and pike with the odd trip for surf species and/or salmon...

Help!
Old 11-22-2013, 08:44 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Typical question : what wt tp choose?!?!?!?

I usually fish an 8wt for stripers (one "P", you don't want any confusion there ) and a 9wt for pike.
However, I often overline to throw larger flies so it could be the equivalent of a 9 or 10wt anyway.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:41 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Typical question : what wt tp choose?!?!?!?

8 vs 9? I may sound like a broken record here. Think about the payloads that you need to throw plus a certain environmental factor called wind. When you start playing the Striper or other big water fish, you start thinking about the grain mass of the line that will be required to throw some obscenely large flies.

Now my anecdote on wind. Inland fishing for Striped Bass is done a few ways. Another is river fishing. The other is fishing the Sacramento/San Joaquin River Delta. Most river fishermen use 8 weights to deliver flies up to 3/0. Delta fishermen usually fish 9 weights with heavier lines to deliver the same flies.

Consult your local fly or tackle shop to see what their staff uses for your region.

I hope that this helps.

Dennis