The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 06:20 PM

polarbearco is on a distinguished road
Default Why oh why is the Hardy CLS so heavy? Ugh!

I love the idea of this cassette reel as I am a big of a collector of lines I rarely use. It comes with 3 empty cassettes and extras are $15 or less. That certainly beats the $100+ spools I buy now and then.

But, man! The 5wt version of this thing is over 7 ounces. The Hardy Ultralite DD 4000 is under 5 oz and the Sage 4250 is closer to 4 oz if I remember correctly. Nearly half a pound. Bad Hardy! Love your stuff, but I can't imagine that'll ever reach my gear bags.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:24 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why oh why is the Hardy CLS so heavy? Ugh!

Just wondering, have you weighed one of these reels or are they listed at 7 ounces? I found with some other gear that I couldn't trust the website info for accurate weight and capacity info.
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm not positive on their weight but if you are going to use the reel with a 9' rod it may balance out just right. I have a 9' Orvis PM-10 rod that feels great with a Viscount LA Disc in size 7/8 on it for a reel. The push toward weightless reels for use with 9' rods leaves many outfits tip heavy.
imxer, mcnerney and fredaevans like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-22-2013, 07:04 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
The push toward weightless reels for use with 9' rods leaves many outfits tip heavy.
You're right about that. When you start getting up to 10' and 11' rods, it's even worse.

I'm a big fan of 'as light as possible'. But, you have to add something to that: 'as light as possible, and no lighter." Tip-heavy rods are not much fun at all.
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:30 PM

furnacefella will become famous soon enoughfurnacefella will become famous soon enough

I bought the smallest one for my 6wt Z-Axis. It is so unbalanced you would end up ruining your wrist. Fortunately it balances perfectly on my 8wt Xi2. It is a great looking reel and works awesome but Hardy really dropped the ball on the weight designation.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:19 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Personally, I like a heavy reel. I generally buy one size up for my rods, a 5/6 for my 4wt, a 7/8 for my six and so on. I find the extra weight in the butt helps me cast. But thats just me. Its personal thing. But unlike spinning rods where I like super light, I like a bit of heft in a fly reel. What can I say? I like big butts and I cannot lie, you other brothers can testify.....
fredaevans and fly_guy12955 like this.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:32 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I agree that, though there is nothing wrong with light weight reels as long as they are adequately rigid and robust enough to survive use out in Nature, that manufacturers' line designations for them are often way off. Hardy and Orvis are among the worst offenders...like a CFO III will take up to #7 line or some such absurd rating. I have taken to ignoring reel's recommended line rating which are more about the size line that will fit on the reel with a specified amount of backing and nothing to do with how the reel will balance with a contemporary rod of that line size. I like Islander's numeric nomenclature; the number represents the diameter of the reel nothing else. Nearly all my contemporary rods are mounted with reels larger than intended for their line rating. My ONE#5 has an FWX 7/8, NRX#4 a Torque T-6 and they are carefully and perfectly balanced with those reels.

I fished with a well regarded, long time Biscayne Bay guide a couple of years ago and had a big, highly skeletonized, light weight reel on my #9 CrossCurrent. What do you think of this new, high-tech Florida-built reel I inquired. He hesitated for a moment, indicated his Tibor Gulfstream in the rod rack and said, "I could pound that thing flat with my Tibor and the Tibor would still work fine." Of course, I use reels to assist in bringing hard running fish to hand, not as hammers.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:22 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

The weight was the only reason why I didn't buy the CLS when I was in the market for a new reel.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:23 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
You're right about that. When you start getting up to 10' and 11' rods, it's even worse.

I'm a big fan of 'as light as possible'. But, you have to add something to that: 'as light as possible, and no lighter." Tip-heavy rods are not much fun at all.
I remember that back in the day we would add split shot through a little hole in my Phlueger Medalist reel to add weight and balance it out.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:09 PM

ontariooutdoorsman is on a distinguished road

I just bought the CLS as I planned on lining it for a few rods. I put 8w wf f on it with 125 yard backing and thought this is going to be heavy for my 5w I'm going to buy. Talked to a few though that said it is fine with a 9' 5w so I'll have to see. I bought the reel so it would be my main quality reel as I liked the cassette system although I wish they would come out with a smaller version of it or Greys come out with a smaller version of the 7000 series cassette reel.

I really like the cassette system though and the drag system is silky smooth and the quality is great. Beats the hell out of the Cortland LTD if used in the past. I did recently look at the Greys 700 and found it to be great for half the price and the 500 although not machined is great to for under $80.00.

Looking forward to next years line up to see if they have smaller versions of these reels as I would buy one in a second if they do but Hardy/Greys was bought out I believe by the people who do Abu Garcia so we'll have to wait and see. Abu Garcia has always built quality so hopefully the Hardy/Greys quality continues under new owners.
wannafish likes this.

Last edited by ontariooutdoorsman; 11-28-2013 at 12:13 PM.