The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 11:07 AM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road
Default Rod advice.

Hi.

I have a Sage One 691. I'm thinking about selling it because I think it's a little too stiff. For me if I put a 6wt line on, I don't feel the rod. I have to overline it to give me some feedback. That's not a problem for the rod, but I would like a little bit more versatile rod that I can take to a river and not just saltwater.

Now that you know that I think the rod is too stiff for me, what rod in a 6 or 7wt that bends would you recommend me to go and look at? I'm not looking for a noodle stick, but I think you get my point?

Oh and btw it's main use is for Streamers.

Kim.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod advice.

Kim: I have the Sage One in a 10 ft 5 wt and I know what you are talking about. I use mine for mainly nymph fishing and I don't really care for the stiff tip either, but that rod will definitely throw a line with virtually no effort. For my streamer rod I have a Sage Z-Axis in 7 wt that I really like, the tip is stiff, but not too stiff, not sure how to describe it, but a wonderful rod to cast streamers with especially on a sink tip.

Larry
von behr and krikau27 like this.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:35 AM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

I like my 10'- six weight Echo -3 for streamer fishing.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:03 PM

throssing is on a distinguished road

Try the HARDY ZENITH. It loads and casts like a dream, and they are available at closeout prices at stores and on eBay.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:38 PM

Location: Central PA. Surrounded by the best trout water in the entire country.
pa cope will become famous soon enoughpa cope will become famous soon enough

If by chance you know anyone with a Beulah Platinum 9'9" 7 wt, borrow it for a day. Smooth, but with backbone. Plus a great price for what your getting. Tight lines, Jeff.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:10 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

What about going back a generation to the Z-Axis? I have the 690 and think it is a good all around 6 weight. Enough punch for some decent size flies and punching through the wind but a softer tip and pretty forgiving.
mcnerney and von behr like this.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:27 AM

Thank you for all the help. Here in Denmark we don't really have much Hardy stuff. Echo is limited. Z-axis is not sold in stores anymore except for double hand rods. But maby I can find it used somewhere.
I went to a lawn today with my One 691 to do a final decision. I started with shooting head 16gram. It didn't work for me. Then a 6 Rio Gold, couldn't feel the rod at all. Finally I tried with a 7 Zpey Ultimo and now I started to feel the rod and the cast was so easy, not just the distance, but also in close. It was so much fun to practice hitting targets (leafs on the lawn).
This opened a new thought for me, that it does matter what line you put on a rod.
But this is still overlined with a 7wt line instead of 6. I don't know how it will feel with the same line in a 6wt. And this put me on a disadvantage if I want a versatile rod that I can bring to a river and still have fun.

I'm not familiar with river fishing in general. As long as I have been fly fishing I have hunted seatrout in saltwater. On rare occasions I have been on a river. What my plans are for river fishing is nymphing and dry fly, maby streamers.
Brown trouts are not as big as seatrout, so a too stiff rod will kill all the fun. Many rivers in Denmark is just small stream fishing with a few large ones. We certainly can't compete with you guys in America.

I don't know, this is just some thoughts. Thank you for helping

Kim.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:21 PM

I hope I don't confuse you guys too much there's alot of thoughts going through my head.

Kim.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:25 PM
featherandfinblog

I love my St Croix Bank Robber for streamer fishing. It certainly serves it's purpose...we recently ran a gear review on it.

Spencer Knibbe

Last edited by Hardyreels; 11-24-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:01 PM

bwf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krikau27 View Post
Thank you for all the help. Here in Denmark we don't really have much Hardy stuff. Echo is limited. Z-axis is not sold in stores anymore except for double hand rods. But maby I can find it used somewhere.
I went to a lawn today with my One 691 to do a final decision. I started with shooting head 16gram. It didn't work for me. Then a 6 Rio Gold, couldn't feel the rod at all. Finally I tried with a 7 Zpey Ultimo and now I started to feel the rod and the cast was so easy, not just the distance, but also in close. It was so much fun to practice hitting targets (leafs on the lawn).
This opened a new thought for me, that it does matter what line you put on a rod.
But this is still overlined with a 7wt line instead of 6. I don't know how it will feel with the same line in a 6wt. And this put me on a disadvantage if I want a versatile rod that I can bring to a river and still have fun.

I'm not familiar with river fishing in general. As long as I have been fly fishing I have hunted seatrout in saltwater. On rare occasions I have been on a river. What my plans are for river fishing is nymphing and dry fly, maby streamers.
Brown trouts are not as big as seatrout, so a too stiff rod will kill all the fun. Many rivers in Denmark is just small stream fishing with a few large ones. We certainly can't compete with you guys in America.

I don't know, this is just some thoughts. Thank you for helping

Kim.
Kinda reminds me of my sage 691 TCR. Stiffish but with right line....usually heavier such as a 7 weight it performs very well. I'm lucky to have several lines to test out...hard for the guy who doesnt because they are 50-70 coins a pop. Go. 6.5 to 7.