The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 01:43 PM

barham will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Best Low End 9'5wt

I have too many 9ft 5wt expensive rods. However, one of my favorites in an Albright A5 which I bought years ago for less than $150.00. I see one listed on Ebay for $75.00. Naturally, I don't know its condition, but, if it is in good shape, it is a nice, medium fast 5wt.
barham
Old 11-24-2013, 01:51 PM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

Sounds like ill have to check out the Redingtons, lots of love for them. I got the gf a TFO for Christmas, which seems nice. The only prob is I don't have anybody near me with TFO and there are so many models. Originally we were leaning toward the Sage Approach if we stayed around $300 and the Scott A4 if we were going to jump to $400. I am a fan of Scott rods, but don't have any experience with the A4.

I would like to add that whatever we get him is going to end up as a back up in 2 years. He is currently on his 13th year of med school/training. He likes high end stuff, like myself, which is why we don't want to go cheap.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:06 PM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice

PS. I noticed you mentioned the Orvis Clearwater. I have a tip flex 8 weight and its a cannon. Its not as fast as a Sage, but its a zippy rod. I would guess its the same in a 5wt. If you're fishing big water, throwing streamers, or going for bass as well it should be good. For average size trout using smaller flies it might be overkill. Maybe look at the mid flex model if you go that route. Also, in the classified there is a member selling some very sweet Sage and Winstyon rods under the heading classic rods.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:20 PM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

I have a Clearwater 8wt as well. It's a 10' that I mainly use for salmon/Steelhead, but Bass as well. We don't want to buy used because its a present.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:25 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

I think your friend needs to cast "something", so he can get some clue what action he might prefer. I really enjoy my CT in a 3WT 7-6, because it is "slower actioned" than most. I have read of some owners complaining they don't care for a CT 5WT 9-0, because it is "slower actioned" than most rods". All depends on what you want.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:27 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

As you mentioned, an all around rod that does everything well is a tall order, but much of that is also dependent on the caster too. I'd opt for a fast action rod for big water, but if I were fishing smaller streams, that fast action might be frustrating. Your middle of the ground selection of the medium fast action Approach may very well be the best compromise.

My first significant purchase of a fly rod was a Sage Launch and that purchase fed an addiction. It was a lot of rod for the money, it cast well and I really liked fishing with it. Eventually I wanted to upgrade and it's now relegated to the back of the pile but I've kept it. Many of the entry level rods don't have the high end components of the next steps up but they serve the purpose very well.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:38 PM

You guys love to over complicate stuff. Just need a middle of the road rod that can be used for all trout applications. Doesn't need to be perfect at everything, but able to do everything to some extent. He lives 10 states away and has no idea we are getting it for him so there is no way he is going to have any input. He doesn't have any preference as of yet, because he is a novice and brand new to this. All he knows is that he wants a 9'5wt because that's what he was told was the best all around size by Orvis. We arent going to get him something cheap cause he won't like it. We want to spend like $300 on him so we are trying to figure out what the best rod for the situation is.

You are right and that is where I'm leaning...Sage Approach.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:14 PM

44runner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamimikepa View Post
You guys love to over complicate stuff. Just need a middle of the road rod that can be used for all trout applications. Doesn't need to be perfect at everything, but able to do everything to some extent. He lives 10 states away and has no idea we are getting it for him so there is no way he is going to have any input. He doesn't have any preference as of yet, because he is a novice and brand new to this. All he knows is that he wants a 9'5wt because that's what he was told was the best all around size by Orvis. We arent going to get him something cheap cause he won't like it. We want to spend like $300 on him so we are trying to figure out what the best rod for the situation is.

I would say the Redington Classic Trout is IMHO the best rod for $300. If you told me you would buy me any rod up to $300 I would still want a Redington Classic Trout. There isn't a rod I like better in that range.

Get him a CT and spend the rest of the dough on a nice reel and line.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the advice, def going to check that one out!
Old 11-24-2013, 03:25 PM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamimikepa View Post

If this a long distance purchace I would go to Cabelas and buy from them They have some great package deasls, including some Winstons in about your price range and they will let you upgrade the reel if you pay the difference. The reason I suggest it is because they are great on returns. He can send back what you get him if he doesn't like it. Same with Orvis, though there he's locked into one brand. Either way though, he can try and then adjust. That said, I do love Sage, its hard to argue with them.

PS Let me say one more thing about the Redington CT. Don't be put off by the low price. Its not a cheap rod, Its just a great deal. If I were to go back to Yellowstone with just one of my rods, and I own Sage, Loomis, Fishers and Orvis, I would take the Ct. It is one hell of a rod at $75, the normal $150 or for $250. The only thing I would compare it to is a Winston or a Sage LL at many times the dollars.