The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 03:53 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Redington CT 9' 5wt. At $75 you won't find a better rod... At $150... You still wouldn't find a better rod... At $300 you could have a CT matched with a Redington Drift and a premium line and still have money to spare...
yonder and waterfordcreek like this.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:04 PM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Best Low End 9'5wt

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
Redington CT 9' 5wt. At $75 you won't find a better rod... At $150... You still wouldn't find a better rod... At $300 you could have a CT matched with a Redington Drift and a premium line and still have money to spare...
So it sounds like at $300 you think there is a better rod. If you were going to put all $300 into a rod, what would you get?
Old 11-24-2013, 05:34 PM

ulflyfisherman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamimikepa View Post
So it sounds like at $300 you think there is a better rod. If you were going to put all $300 into a rod, what would you get?
If you want a slow, relaxed 9' 5wt, there is not going to be a better rod than the Redington Classic Trout for under $300.00 - and this one happens to be $75.00 (1/2 off) at Cabelas. If you want to get your friend a faster rod, the Sage Approach, coming in at $295.00, would be my choice. I believe that the Classic Trout is as close to being an Orvis Superfine without being an Orvis Superfine for under the $500.00 superfine price tag.

But you're a fly fisherman, and you know that everyone is going to have a different opinion about every rod out there. Everybody has different casting strokes, different tastes in color, and different situations that they are going to fish in. Either of those two rods would do the trick, as well as probably 20 other rods.
itchmesir and ia_trouter like this.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:45 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamimikepa View Post
My honest advice? Order a CT and have it delivered to your house. Cast it in the back yard. If its not what you want as the gift send it back. All you're out is seven fifty in return shipping. Just a thought.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:50 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulflyfisherman View Post
If you want a slow, relaxed 9' 5wt, there is not going to be a better rod than the Redington Classic Trout for under $300.00 - and this one happens to be $75.00 (1/2 off) at Cabelas. If you want to get your friend a faster rod, the Sage Approach, coming in at $295.00, would be my choice. I believe that the Classic Trout is as close to being an Orvis Superfine without being an Orvis Superfine for under the $500.00 superfine price tag.

But you're a fly fisherman, and you know that everyone is going to have a different opinion about every rod out there. Everybody has different casting strokes, different tastes in color, and different situations that they are going to fish in. Either of those two rods would do the trick, as well as probably 20 other rods.
Outstanding first post.

Miami, IMO part of the reason we are "making this complicated" is because your thread title does not match your apparent intent. Low end does not equal $300 for many of us here. Everything is relative of course. It really sounds like you are intent on spending $300 on a rod. If that is the case, forget the Redington's because he will probably find out they aren't expensive. No way to say what is truly "best" until you pick a casting style/action. That's not making it complicated. It's just how it is because the CT is way underpriced now if you want a medium rod. Get a Sage or an Orvis or similar if your motive is to buy is a more recognizable "Quality Brand" for your friend.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:14 PM

torr8966 is on a distinguished road

Check out Ross Rods!! Love mine!!
Old 11-24-2013, 07:53 PM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Outstanding first post.

Miami, IMO part of the reason we are "making this complicated" is because your thread title does not match your apparent intent. Low end does not equal $300 for many of us here. Everything is relative of course. It really sounds like you are intent on spending $300 on a rod. If that is the case, forget the Redington's because he will probably find out they aren't expensive. No way to say what is truly "best" until you pick a casting style/action. That's not making it complicated. It's just how it is because the CT is way underpriced now if you want a medium rod. Get a Sage or an Orvis or similar if your motive is to buy is a more recognizable "Quality Brand" for your friend.

You are probably right! I probably should have been more specific. For me rods like the Orvis Clearwater is low end because I probably wouldn't look at anything of lesser quality. With that being said the Resington which has had many people liking it and is on sale for $75 def peaked my interest. What has veered me away from that is the comparison to the Superfine. To me and this is only my opinion that is a more specialized rod. I know I wouldn't want that as my only rod. To be honest I think we will be going with the Sage Approach. Was curious if it was worth it to spend the extra $100 and jump to the Scott A4, but that doesn't seem to have many people interest. I get what you are saying about there not really being a best. Guess I was just looking for some opinions about what's out there. Like finding out that the Redington Ct was similar to the Superfine or that the Approach is a good medium between fast and slow.

The reason I'm against the real low end stuff is because I bought a real cheap outfit when I was in college and it was so junky it turned me away from the sport. I don't want him to have the same experience. Idk what I bought but it was about $99 for the rod, reel, & line and it was Cabelas brand.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:59 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

If you want something truely special check out RDP fly rods and have a custom one made. Nice rods with a nice action.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:20 PM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

Let me be the first to say. I love Sage rods and have six of them. However let me add a couple of rods to your choices. The Gloomis Pro4x is a spectacular rod at $350. Not just for the money, but all around. A few weeks ago I took a customer out and cast the 4x, St Croix Imperial and TFO BVK. We both thought the 4x and Imperial were better than the BVK. I thought the 4x was fantastic. My customer had a harder time telling the difference between it and the Imperial. We both thought both rids were light years ahead of the BVK. So I would suggest adding those two rods to your choices. I have cast the approach, but cannot give you any reasonable feedback on the rod. That probably is really telling that the rod did not make an impression either way.

As far as the Ross rods. I would not recommend the Essence to anyone. It is tip heavy and their is something messed up about that rod. I own a a Ross RX that I won at a casting competition. It is a good rod for the money. I have yet to fish it, but that is more of a function of having a 490 so that I built and love and a 486 Hardy Zenith. Hard to break into that rotation.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the advice. The G Loomis Pro4x is another one I was hoping to get some info on. I'm a big fan of G Loomis rods...both conventional & Fly. I plan on picking up an NRX Saltwater 9'8wt for bonefish for myself this summer.