The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 10:43 PM

coolhand is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best Low End 9'5wt

Sage Approach - very easy to cast, better than any of their previous 1st price point rods.

G. Loomis Pro 4X - super smooth performer for price point, fishes very well.

St. Croix Imperial (under $250) - USA made, but so, so performance.

St. Croix Legend Elite (a touch over $400) - premium performance at reasonable price.

Scott A4 - easy to cast with a lot of feel.

I have no experience with Orvis, but sounds like your friend already has a predisposed preference for Orvis. So maybe get him one of their 1st Price Point, USA made rods. Then you both will be happy.

All of these are USA made rods that perform very well for their price points.

I would avoid the TFO stuff. So, so, performance with poor durability, although it has a good warranty.

Redington Classic Trout? Descent dry fly rod, but not sure that I would have it as my all-around 9', #5.

If you were considering import rods, I would check into Echo, Beulah, and the Ross RX, all very good rods at reasonable prices.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:42 PM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

I do like the A4 as well. Good rod at that price point.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:06 AM

xnykid will become famous soon enoughxnykid will become famous soon enough

No body ever really bashes Redington CT's at any price. Everyone that tries one at least likes it, may not be as good as their Sage but always a "Keeper".
Your buddy will be proud to own one and will keep it for every as part of his quiver. the deal at Cabelas is just frosting on top of a really great cake. No brainer for me, IMO, just by buying different lines for that rod will make a it very very versatile choice.
nc_cooter likes this.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:27 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

I'm pretty happy with just about any 1/2 way decent rod that doesn't have foam grips. I like the entire "three forks" line from Cabelas and they're dirt-cheap.

My favorite 9' 5-weight is my TFO professional (about 150 bucks).
Old 11-25-2013, 09:49 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

We’ll add the Echo 3 and Echo Edge rods to the mix.
I'll add mine to the list of those who think you could find the Scott A4 to be an all around contender.

TT
Old 11-25-2013, 10:05 AM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the great info guys! This is more what i was looking for, sorry for not being specific enough in the original post.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:29 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Just to shake it up and knowing the kind of rods you use yourself, I'll recommend Mystic Reaper ($199). I have never seen one! G.Anderson wrote about it in a sidebar to his 2013 5-Weight Shootout and I am getting one as a reward for someone. I don't know where it is made but I do believe the Cabelas, Ross Worldwide and Redington are made in China. Tim Rajeff's ECHO3 would be great but is more like $350. Someone above mentioned the Albright A5; cheap, quite good and Korean (like the ECHO); I would go with the 8 1/2'/#5 rather than the softer feeling 9'.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:55 AM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

If Cabelas had the Redington CT in a 3 or 4 wt 7'6" I'd be picking one up for myself at that price...seems like a great rod at a great deal!

The Mystic rods are very interesting, def throwing it into the mix.

I'm going to get a chance to play with the Sage Approach & Scott A4 next week it looks like.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:09 PM

44runner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamimikepa View Post
If Cabelas had the Redington CT in a 3 or 4 wt 7'6" I'd be picking one up for myself at that price...seems like a great rod at a great deal!

I'm going to get a chance to play with the Sage Approach & Scott A4 next week it looks like.
I have the CT in a 3wt 7'6", 4wt 8' and a 5wt 8'6" and they are all my go to rods for those weights even though I have more expensive rods in the same weight.
fly_guy12955 and yonder like this.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:35 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamimikepa View Post

Go to Sierratrading post.com. They have, or had them for $65 and they are a great company to deal with. They also have a bunch of Sages and such at nice prices. Its a **** shoot what they'll have on any given day as they deal in closeouts and the like, but check them out. I have dealt with them many times for camping gear.
I was hoping for a 2wt CT, but no dice. They did have the threes in stock and I love my 8'6".