The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 11:50 AM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Best Low End 9'5wt

There was a thread complaining about Sage Cork. TFO has a rod with composite cork grip.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:11 PM

arreflections is on a distinguished road

I agree with what ia has been saying. This question is like whether you like blondes or brunettes better. I have a few fenwicks that I can charge you $300. Just because it is vintage and a blue collar price does not translate to a poor rod. Rods do not change, only the marketing. Oh, I prefer black hair.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:43 PM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by arreflections View Post
I agree with what ia has been saying. This question is like whether you like blondes or brunettes better. I have a few fenwicks that I can charge you $300. Just because it is vintage and a blue collar price does not translate to a poor rod. Rods do not change, only the marketing. Oh, I prefer black hair.
I have to completely disagree with that statement. Technology def changes all the time. Marketing helps sell products and inflate cost or perceived value, but that doesn't mean companies aren't making better stuff at the same time.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:49 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Bought a 5wt.9ft BVK. Fished it one time....far too fast... It's same as a new,,one short trip..got anything you wanna trade on ? Oh,,I have a rod tube for it..it's not a TFO tube but its a good one. Also have warranty card.

Mike

Last edited by fly_guy12955; 11-29-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:07 PM

gregnash will become famous soon enough

Sure that you hav seen all the threads on the Redington CT. I have one and feel it is an amazing medium/medium-fast rod, especially since you can easily find it for $75. Even at he retail of $150+ it is an excellent rod.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:30 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
Sure that you hav seen all the threads on the Redington CT. I have one and feel it is an amazing medium/medium-fast rod, especially since you can easily find it for $75. Even at he retail of $150+ it is an excellent rod.
Boom! I forgot about this rod, that redington CT is ridiculous for the price, one sweet rod. I would still pony up the extra $150 for an echo 3 instead, but if $150 was my limit, redington CT all day.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:35 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Just noticed that Redington's Link rod looks like it's being discontinued and is on sale at various fly shops. Used to sell for $350, but you can get it for $250 and also receive a free Rio Gold fly line in the matching weight. Don't know anything about this rod, but seems like a deal worth checking out if you are considering Redington.
Redington Link Rod - SALE - Fly Rods - Chicago Fly Fishing Outfitters | ChiFly.com

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

Might have misspoke on the price. Appears the price is $249.95 for Link rod alone and $299.95 for rod and line. You also get free shipping. By the way, I don't work for or have any affiliation with them. Just thought you might be interested.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:44 PM

xnykid will become famous soon enoughxnykid will become famous soon enough

I would love, love love to see a double blind test of say 5# 9' rods.
send all the blanks to a common factory to finish them off and send them with nothing but numbers on them to a group of guys of all fishing levels across the board to try out and rate. that would be a blast.

I would just be interested in the results,, I know if Sage came out on top I would definitely save my money and get one some day
wannafish and alexs like this.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:12 PM

jhardin80 is on a distinguished road

I have the 8'6" 4wt Redington CT paired with a Lamson Konic 1.5 reel. It's a great setup for the price. The CT is even cheaper now than when I bought it. It's enough rod for bigger rivers but it is also small enough for the smaller streams. Both together are about $214 so that leaves you with some room for some backing and line to put on there for him as well.

Good luck and I think it's great you are doing this for your friend. (Wish my friends would do that for me) LOL

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:01 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Another rod to consider is the Sage Vantage, the predecessor to the Approach. Nice med-fast action and very forgiving of casting mistakes. There are a number if dealers online (and fleabay) that are still blowing them out for $200.

If you are between the Approach and A4, the A4 is worth the money. It's still a comfortable med-fast action but with a faster recovering tip and nicer overall fit and finish.