The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 10:52 AM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough
Default Best Low End 9'5wt

Hey guys,

I did a ton of research before I decided on a 9'5wt for myself, but it was all pretty high end stuff. My best friend is looking to get his first fly outfit and is going with the same length/wt. My question is on the low end what would you guys recommend? Probably looking at a max of $300. This setup will be used as a general all around trout setup. So far we have been looking at Orvis Clearwater, Sage Approach, and TFO (not sure which).

Also, is there a big jump in quality from this level to the next? Meaning Orvis Access, G Loomis Pro4x, Scott A4, And Sage Response.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:33 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Best Low End 9'5wt

I have a Cabela's Three Forks 866-2 that I run a 5 wt. line on. Casts well short and has some reserve to carry 60 to 70ft. in the air no problem. I like the rod !

Several different lenght models on sale including the 9 footer.....your choice. $39.95.......Cabela's Three Forks Fly Rods : Cabela's
Old 11-24-2013, 11:34 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

an allen compass would be a great choice.
Compass Rod Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store

casey
mojo likes this.

ARFE
Old 11-24-2013, 12:04 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

"Best" is a relative term and certainly subjective. What I'd recommend that you and your friend do together is go to some fly shops and cast some rods. Hone in on the action that he seems to prefer or do better with and then start looking at the rods in budget that fit the bill. Also factor in what species of fish, size/type of flies, etc.

One thing with first fly rods, they're often not the last. If your friend is unsure whether or not he'll stick with it, a cheaper option may be the ticket. Whereas somebody that is likely to stick with it may find themselves upgrading to a better rod after they figure out how fun it is and that they wished they'd have dropped a little more coin in the first place. I was in the latter category.

Redington rods are worth a look too.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:51 PM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

Ok, I guess I should add that he does fly fish, he just doesn't have his own gear. Another friend and I are buying him this rod for Christmas. We don't want to get him something real cheap that he's going to want to upgrade immediately, but we don't want to spend $800 either. Originally we figured we'd spend about $300, but if there was a rod out there that is much better we'd probably go to $400.

I've messed around with Cabelas rods and just haven't been a huge fan. I like the Allen reel I bought for the gf, but the friend we are buying this rod isn't an Allen fan...long story. I'm prob not going to have time before Christmas to try a bunch of stuff out to just get something based on my opinion.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:10 PM

nc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the roughnc_cooter is a jewel in the rough

I have a Redington CT 5wt and a Cabela's Three Forks 5wt and it's no contest, Redington all the way. My wife liked my Redington so much, I bought her one.
Mike
44runner and yonder like this.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:10 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamimikepa View Post
Ok, I guess I should add that he does fly fish, he just doesn't have his own gear. Another friend and I are buying him this rod for Christmas. We don't want to get him something real cheap that he's going to want to upgrade immediately, but we don't want to spend $800 either. Originally we figured we'd spend about $300, but if there was a rod out there that is much better we'd probably go to $400.

I've messed around with Cabelas rods and just haven't been a huge fan. I like the Allen reel I bought for the gf, but the friend we are buying this rod isn't an Allen fan...long story. I'm prob not going to have time before Christmas to try a bunch of stuff out to just get something based on my opinion.

Ahhh, well that changes things Very cool of you guys to put some funds together and buy him a new rod! I'd bet your friend will be blown away. I know I surely would be! Do you know what kind of action he seems to do best with, either having tried one of yours or buddy's rods?

Do you have access to a local shop that has a decent selection of rods on hand? Besides doing business locally, it might make things easier should he need to deal with warranty issues or exchange.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:18 PM

Haha yeah, prob should have put all the detail in that original post! Sorry lol. Idk what he likes and I don't think he does either. He went to the Orvis school and used the Clearwater and he uses the guides gear that he hires for salmon/steelhead. The other friend buying this with me doesn't fish at all. He basically said buy what I want and he'll split it with me. Haha. I'd say we will prob want something fast action that he can fish big water with. Again it's going to be an all around trout rod. Everything from big water to small streams. I realize it won't do everything perfect as if he had 3-4 specialized rods, but for the next 2 yrs or so this will be his only trout rod.

I have access to a Cabelas, Orvis Dealer, local shop that stocks Redington Hardy Sage & G Loomis, and a local shop that stocks Scott Sage & Orvis.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:22 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_cooter View Post
I have a Redington CT 5wt and a Cabela's Three Forks 5wt and it's no contest, Redington all the way. My wife liked my Redington so much, I bought her one.
Mike
Plus 1 to this. You can get the Reddington CT for $75, if you act fast at Cabelas. It is an awesome rod. Get one of their wind river reels on sale for twenty and one of their house brand lines for the same price, add in a $10 spool of backing and your buddy is out the door for $125 with a very nice trout outfit. No BS I have two CTs and I wouldn't sell either if you offered me the regular price of $150. I have that Wind River on my three weight and its a respectable reel for the price. For a few bucks more go to Ebay and get a Redington Pursuit new for around fifty.
No need to drop big bucks on a first outfit.
yonder likes this.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:33 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Good on you for trying to help a brother out; I just bought a Hardy/Greys 9' 8wt for a friend's wife to give him for Christmas. I am really impressed with the quality and casting of this rod. The five wt version was listed #11 in the shootout right after the Sage One at #10 (not sure which year, maybe 2011). I got a store demo on auction for $80.00 plus shipping. They retail at $210.00