The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By polarbearco
  • 1 Post By mojo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 07:27 PM

polarbearco is on a distinguished road
Default *NEW* Hardy Jet 9'0" 5wt -- The Internet's 1st Review!!

I recently bought the brand new Hardy Jet 9'0' 5wt 4-piece for $449, which included my choice of fly line. I got the new Rio Perception as I already have a reel of Rio Gold. I don't yet know if this rod will do well with the 5-1/2 wt Perception. We'll see.

Anyway, the new Jet uses Hardy Sintrix 330. Hardy says this makes the rod's price more affordable, keep weight down, and Hardy says the 330 strengthens the rod an additional 30% or so compared to a "normal" rod. FYI, the Hardy Zenith uses the Sintrix 440, which is about 60% stronger than a normal rod.

The Jet is considered by Hardy to be a medium-fast rod. I decided to blindly buy the Jet because I have a dream of a nice collection of various weights and lengths, but I don't want my wife to know just how many I have. If all the rods are from the same line with the same look and same case, she'll never know if I have pulled out a 4wt or 5wt. I originally starting purchasing the closeout Zeniths but there are a few key weights I just can't get, so they're getting returned unused.

I was very pleasantly surprised when I unboxed the Jet. I initially felt slight disappointment for 0.2 seconds when I saw that the rod tube was covered PVC but then I felt how light it was, even compared to the 3wt Zenith in it's metal tube. I praised Hardy for including a sock for the metal tubes for the Zenith because that would help protect the tube's looks. For my purposes though, I like the idea of the non-metal rod tube because I'm more likely to strap it to the outside of a backpack and take it on a hike, and I'm usually tossing the rod tubes in the back of the truck or floorboard and I always felt like I had to be extra careful with the "pretty metal cases."

I was also pleased to find that the new Jet doesn't come with ferrule caps like the Zenith did. Hardy is the only rod manufacturer that I have seen include ferrule caps with a rod (the Zenith) and while it's a nice touch, it's adding to the cost of the rod, it's something I will eventually lose, and it's something I don't really need. After all, my rods are either put together, or in the rod case. There's not a lot of chance of the ferrules getting mucked up in my world, so I don't really need to cap them.

There isn't much information on the Jet out there. There's a YouTube video from Hardy simply saying it exists but there aren't any casting videos. I hope to create a video or two eventually, but it's almost December and I'm in Colorado. I'll be fishing this winter, but I'm not sure how excited I will be in making a video. Anyway, with the name "Jet" I thought the rod was going to be very black, like the Sage One or the Redington CPX. I'm happy to report that the color of the Jet is more of a graphite color. I love it! Having said that, I was dead set on a black reel for the Jet, either the Sage 4250 or a Hardy Ultralite 4000 DD in black. Since the rod isn't really black, I have to consider the 4000 DD reel in silver. The rod might even look really good in a silver/black reel like Hardy's CLS reels. Unfortunately, the CLS reels are insanely heavy and unless they come out with a 3-series in 4-5 ounces, they will never join my pile of equipment.

I'm currently planning on hitting the Arkansas this weekend. I'll give you a casting opinion next week. For now, here's a few pics.

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

[/COLOR]Hmm, not sure where the pics are right now. Will try to fix after dinner. I used postimg.org. Maybe I didn't use the right link. I'm new to posting pics.
mcnerney likes this.

Last edited by polarbearco; 11-27-2013 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Trying to fix pictures...
Old 11-26-2013, 05:35 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: *NEW* Hardy Jet 9'0" 5wt -- The Internet's 1st Review!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rQr...e_gdata_player
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:21 AM

Yeah, that's the one and only video I've seen about it and all it says is there's 20 different rods, it's price range, and that it is a medium fast. I did some casting with it the other day and I'm not convinced I'm going to like it yet, though I was casting with sinking line on an extra spool that was in my pocket... hahaha! My 5wt reel is at Lamson having foot surgery. I ordered a reel yesterday and it'll be here Friday morning in time to fish this weekend. I'll keep you guys posted.

I figured out the photo problem and I'll fix the last three images missing and take more later.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:11 PM

UPDATE:

I got to take the rod out on the Arkansas near Pueblo yesterday. My lighter weight reel is out at the moment so I strung Rio Gold 5wt on a Hardy 7000DD reel. That's a pretty heavy reel IMO but the rod felt fairly balanced actually. I didn't tie on any dries and I forgot my tippet so I was only able to throw a single nymph w/indicator rig. I was very pleased with how this cast. I was easily hitting the opposite bank (35-40') and landing inches from where I was aiming. I'd call that accurate~! I couldn't find what the fish wanted to bite on so I threw on a yellow/brown streamer. I don't know what size it was. Big. Anyway, WOW! This 5wt threw the streamer like I've never been able to before. 50 ft, no problem. I couldn't throw a small wooly bugger comfortably with my St Croix 5wt nor an 8wt Redington CPX (too stiff). I spent most of the day streamer fishing with some success. All in all, I'd say this is a great rod...

BUT...

My 4-piece rod came home as a 5-piece. While pulling the fly line out of the guides by the end of the leader, the rod snapped around 20 inches from the tip. I've pulled line out of the guide 1000s of times on cheap rods, and $800 Sage rods, both fast and soft rods. I didn't do anything that should have caused this rod to snap like it did. The Sintrix 330 technology that Hardy touts for this rod is supposed to make it 30% stronger than... a straw? I don't know.

I'm hoping this is a fluke. After two hours on the water, I have to send the rod back. The fly shop I bought it from said they would send it to Hardy as a shop rod for me. That'll avoid the replacement cost if I sent it to Hardy myself, but it'll take extra time to process. I will be excited to get the rod back and use it again, but I'm now a tad leery about the rod. The action fits me very well and it was a joy to cast, but am I going to have to put the rod down and pull line straight out from now on? What will happen if I connect with the 22" brown I saw in 6 inches of water? Time will tell.

I have ordered a 4wt 8'6" Jet hoping it'll be my main trout rod. I asked the wife to buy me a 6wt for streamer and hopper dropper rigs so I'm not totally sure where the 5wt will fit in, but it's definitely a nice 4-PIECE rod.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:32 PM

williamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant future

Bummer about the break. Throwing nymphs and buggers makes me wonder if any were bead-heads and if they might have bumped the blank on one of the casts. When I hear about a rod snapping like that after flexing and casting fine on the water I wonder if the blank was slightly damaged and then finally broke.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Bummer about the break. Throwing nymphs and buggers makes me wonder if any were bead-heads and if they might have bumped the blank on one of the casts. When I hear about a rod snapping like that after flexing and casting fine on the water I wonder if the blank was slightly damaged and then finally broke.
If it was damaged, it wasn't by me. It was a new rod, but I take care of my older rods just the same as a new one. While I did hit the back of my opposite shoulder once with a streamer when I encountered a wind gust and switched to casting my side opposite the wind, I doubt I hit the rod. That would most likely create a tangle or a failed cast, which I didn't experience. I'm a decent caster and don't generally hit my rod with my line or flies. Regardless, shouldn't a rod that markets itself to being "30% stronger" be able to handle a few bumps and bruises? Should we be afraid to tap a tree branch while trekking to the river? Should we set the rod down on a pillow instead of the truck bed?

I'm guessing it was a fluke. I had a 3wt Sage Circa and didn't have any problems with that soft, fragile rod and that rod saw plenty of double rigs with bead heads. I even had indicators on that rod.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:49 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

Polar Bear, Where you holding the rod by its cork grip and pulling the leader/line through a flexed rod when this happened? With a 9' rod with little shock absorbing line out, that may be too much flex. I am sorry it happened to you but my strong preference when rigging up is to lay the butt end with reel on a soft grassy patch or, in rocky conditions, in my hat and, with leader doubled over, string the loop through the guides of a straight rod. No flex and no risk of a bulging nail knot or loop-to-loop spot in the leader to line tip connection catching on a guide. Breaking a rod sucks and a brand new one, suckier.