The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 08:56 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: caring for cork handles?

Try cleaning it up with SoftScrub bathroom cleaner but understand that a lot of rods of lower price point both new and old use(d) crappy cork. I remain opposed to "preservative" finishes...let the cork bits fall where they may.

I've told this story before in detail but to recap: Seasons back, an old bud and I had identical Scott Pow-R-Ply 5pc. glass rods. On a trip up in the mountains, we left our rods rigged and my friend had simply leaned his against a Doug Fir in camp. Emerging from our tents in the morning, Don let out a yelp. Though the dog had apparently slept through this or, more likely, wisely shied away, a quill pig had, during the night, gnawed the cork down to the glue nubs enjoying the sweat salt on the cork grip. Now THAT is a cork grip problem.

If you want to see great new cork, look at G.Loomis's NRX rods featuring old growth, darkly figured, super dense cork. None of this typical soft pale stuff.
fly2field likes this.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:25 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

One of my fishing buddies uses soft sports wrap on his cork grips that are in poor shape. Stretchable, self stick, and easy to remove.
It's the same stuff they wrap horse's ankles with, and a vet or trainer would prolly give you a few feet to try, or you could pick some up at Walgreen's.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:25 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Magic erasers work really well at getting them to look like new again. Most of mine have dark spots where my nasty hands grab em. I clean them once a year maybe.....and they come back look nice.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 11-28-2013, 12:00 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

My son recently cleaned up the cork on an old pack rod that I gave him. He used a fresh soapy steel wool pad, warm water and a little elbow grease. It came out looking like new.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:55 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

A good hair conditioner will but some moisture back in the cork .rub some on the cork with your hand creating some heat let stand for a while rinse off the residue let dry out of the bag.