The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 08:54 AM

tjflyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default bluegill rig advice

looking for advice on a rod/reel/line for bluegill fishing
i have a local pond thats loaded with them and they will consistantly eat
a sz 16 pt or mosquito dry 50-60 fish is not un common in one session
all catch and release of course

right now im fishing a 8-6 3 wt on them but just wondering what everyone else would recommend for a good rig for fishing these fiesty little fish

most of the bg in my pond are small like 4-5 inches but very healthy and

a ball to catch the surface action can be in one word intense lol

the rig im fishing right now is a cabelas three forks rod with wind river reel
and wff 3 wt line

im thinking about spending a little more coin on a good medium priced rig
maybe $150 -200 to dedicate strictly to bg fishing

please feel free to chime in on what you would buy and where to get it online

any advice would be great

thanks
tjflyfisher
Old 11-26-2013, 09:12 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: bluegill rig advice

Redington Classic Trout in 2wt would be nice. I have no experience with rods of lesser weight than a Two. There are guys that REALLY go ultra'lite,,and maybe they'll chime in.

I did wiggle a TFO Finesse Series 1 wt in a shop. I remember thinking,,this would be dynamite on the bluegills !

Mike
Old 11-26-2013, 09:13 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm using a Redingon CT 8'6" 3wt with a cabelas Wind River reel and a house brand WFF line and house brand backing. It was $130 out the door and I love it. It lets small fish show off and its a joy to cast as long as the the wind isn't an issue. The reel is amazingly good for twenty bucks, it has a nice drag. But honestly for a 3wt who cares? Its only jobs are to hold line and not overspool when I strip line. It checks both boxes nicely. THe CT is fantastic. For seventy five bucks you'd be a fool not to buy one. This would be a rod I'd buy if I had $300 to spend.

That said, if I could find the 2wt for that price I'd buy one. I really like ultra light fishing for panfish. No stress, no hassel and a lot of fun. Its cathartic.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:26 AM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Redington 3WT CT. I use a 7-6 rather than a longer rod because it is my small stream trout rod too. Smaller weight rods are fun, but lately everytime I fish the wind is blowing hard, and a 3WT is tough enough.

If you go CT and are looking for a nice matching reel, craigthor has my "old" Redington Drift 2/3 and it's definitely for sale. Couple months old and like new.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:06 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

I was gonna suggest a CT 4wt for giggles, but a 3wt is probably more fun . Might as well go ultra light and go for a 1 or 0 since you have a 3wt.