The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 11:35 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What do you think is the perfect rod for nymph/dry fly?

you could always go w/ a 9' 5 weight or 9'6" 5 weight sage VXP, this rod has a wonderful fast action progressive flex thats amazing for both nymphs and dries. And at $495 its hard to beat this price to performance ratio. I have 4 z-axis rods, and I have to say I like the vxp taper the best out of all the sage rods currently in production. Give it a look.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:19 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

As per your usual TNLL, good stuff. You know, my bud has a 7100 VXP and each time I cast it, I'm impressed with the performance and feel. I usually always comment, man is this a nice rod!

I was in a fly shop yesterday and got to chatting with them about the VXP, we both agreed that it's a very under appreciated series in Sage's lineup. Lot of bang for the buck in that rod.
thenewlushlife likes this.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:47 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
I have one of those. When we moved across the country it was one of the "irreplaceable" fly rods that came in the car. 25$? Mine's not for sale at any price.
Neither is mine. Nicely equipped with a 1494. Both of them like new. I've had them since the early 70's.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

A Hardy Zenith Sintrix in a 4 wt would be a sweet dry fly rod and you can pick one up on closeout (Hardy is changing out the reel seat) for just under $360.
Hardy Zenith 4-Piece Fly Rod for a 3 or 4 Weight

Larry

Larry
Old 12-01-2013, 05:01 PM

bwf is on a distinguished road

There are many options.....sage ds or ds2 9' 5 or 6 weight is a favorite of mine.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:32 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

Without recommending a specific rod, many good ones have been listed above, I would comment that quick recovering tips as on your ONE (but in 4 or 5-weight rather than your great #6) are great for dry fly presentation but not so much for nymphing. A deeper flexing, softer tipped rod is more conducive to dead drifting a nymph. There are compromises, such as the Z-Axis for example, that has a softer by still quick recovering tip that will not be much of a compromise for either technique and it is a rod with this combination of design characteristics that I would seek. For high-sticking blind drifting, light weight would also be advantageous.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:20 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Since I'm kind of protective of my Fenwick, I use my Z-Axis 9ft. 4 wt. and it works great.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:46 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

The Scott G2 8'4" 5 wt is a great dry fly rod and works very well for nymphing. The G2 8'8" is just the reverse, better for nymphing, not quite as good for dries. Either is better than anything else I've ever cast.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:36 AM

petee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to all

One rod to do both? If it isn't Bamboo then an Epic 480 or 580 fiberglass. Lays out a delicate, accurate presentation with a dry and has the sensitivity to detect every little bounce or tap with the nymph. Personal opinion: there isn't really much finesse required to chuck a nymph, but you need to be able to detect any tic once your on the drift. For me they are deadly accurate up to about 60', but then I am a crummy caster so your mileage may vary. Plus I have no problem moving into a better casting position rather than trying to cast 90' over different currents.

Just my $.02,
Pete
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 12-04-2013, 09:27 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

This thread seems to pop up quite frequently, a trout rod able to handle both dries and wets with equal measure, a lot of people are after such a rod. This was a quest I have been on for the last 5 years, I went through a lot of rod models, bought many, returned many, sold many. I went through ORvis rods, g. loomis rods, sages, echo's and a few others, I just couldn't seem to find a rod with an action well suited for my liking that could handle all trouting techniques well and with equal measure. Then I got my hands a 9' 5 weight sage VXP and everything changed. This fast action rod has lots of backbone for throwing indicator rigs and split shots for long line nymphing, however it has a very progressive taper so it doesnt flex in the tip but more like the top 1/3 of the rod blank. So, for dries its also a dream. I honestly think this is one of the most underrated and under-appreciated rods in production, and I think its because it doesn't wear a $700 price tag, it wears a $495 price tag. After returning many flagship models, including NRX, GLX, and Helios, I settled on the VXP as my workhorse all-rounder.

I shouldn't be pushing one rod on the forum, I just think more people should go test this rod and see for themselves what I'm talking about. Obviously it won't be for everybody, but if your looking for a fast action rod that isn't ultra fast like most of the flagship models going today, radian, one, nrx, helios etc.... then this rod may just hit the nail on the head for you. Anyway, I couldn't be more impressed with an all-rounder, just sharin' the love.
Regards,
Lush