The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 10:21 AM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough
Default General design traits for a nymph rod?

The other thread on the best dry fly/nymph rod got me thinking. What type of rod action, length, weight would be the best specialized nymphing rod?

Now for arguments sake lets limit this discussion to normal depth rivers and streams. I once fished the Bighorn tail water section in the heat of August, the river was quite deep and we were fishing San Juan worms with a split shot bouncing along the bottom. I was using my relatively soft Scott G four weight while my two buddies had faster action Sages. They were hooking nice trout right and left, while I couldn't even set the hook with that soft tip.

I'm curious about this because Scott used to tout the G series as a fine nymphing tool in their older marketing, but that obviously wasn't my experience fishing on the Bighorn that hot summer day. So is there a certain type of rod that would excel at fishing weighted nymphs on a rocky river?

John
Old 12-03-2013, 10:44 PM

Waterborne has a spectacular aura aboutWaterborne has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: General design traits for a nymph rod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacierjohn View Post
we were fishing San Juan worms with a split shot bouncing along the bottom. I was using my relatively soft Scott G four weight while my two buddies had faster action Sages. They were hooking nice trout right and left, while I couldn't even set the hook with that soft tip.

So is there a certain type of rod that would excel at fishing weighted nymphs on a rocky river?

John
I think you answered your own question.

When working with weight, indicators, and going deep, long, or heavy current, stiff backbones give you more leverage than limp noodles.