The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 11:32 PM

fin??whatfin?? is on a distinguished road
Default what would be a good rod/reel combo

i need a new rod/reel i have been using on that my dad got from his dad when he was in high school. i do not know what brand it is but it randomly flies apart at bad times it is not to bad but need new one.
I need one that can handle steelhead salmon and trout(8 or 9 weight) in pretty ruff environments. i have looked at some at cabelas but do not know what would be good. It must be durable and not to expensive cause i am only 15 and do not need a fancy one. any rod and reel recommendation would be nice cause i really need a new rod and reel.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:59 PM

plland is on a distinguished road
Default Re: what would be a good rod/reel combo

The Temple Fork Outfitters rods are, in my opinion, far and away the best value on the market today for their near-premium quality and reasonable prices. I have two, as well as two Sage rods, and despite the fact that the Sage rods retail for 3x more, the TFO rods perform very well comparably. Check out their NXT rod and reel outfits. I think TFO has an 8/9 weight combo for about $200.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:27 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

TFOs are good. Many of their rods don't come with cases; and some are very fast. I think the first thing is to decide the action you want - fast, moderate- etc. - then decide how much money you want to spend.

Personally I like Cabela's. If you want a moderate fast rod I'd look at their LST. If you want something a slower I'd look try to pick up a used rod, maybe a St. Croix Avid, and a used reel.

Randy Kadish
Old 02-22-2008, 09:48 PM

plland is on a distinguished road

TFO, like most rod manufacturers, have rods in a range of actions. The Finesse are medium action, the Professional are medium-fast, and the TiCr are fast. The Signature series is medium-fast/fast, the TiCr-X is very fast and the Axiom are supposed to be the fastest. (This info I got from the Feathercraft website before they re-did it). So yes, some TFO rods are fast action, but how on Earth is that a bad thing?
Old 02-23-2008, 09:32 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Yes, TFO Rods have a wide range of actions, but it seems that their fast rods put them on the map.

I would also suggest checking the rod weight and, all things being equal, go with the lighter rods.

When I was looking for a fast, 7-weight, it seemed the TFOs were heavier than the others.

Also, though I liked the way the TFO cast, I didn't like the way it looked.

That's just my two cents.

Randy
Old 03-17-2008, 10:09 PM

fin??whatfin?? is on a distinguished road

all right my dad got himself a tfo and reel from them too(forgot which one) he got it at a shop that carried almost only tfo's and my dad falls into salesmanship easily.
we are going to friends house in Alaska in June and I have not bee able to decide i found these today in a fly shop near my school.

Scierra XDP Fly Reels - Fishing gear, fly rods, reels, lines, leaders, flies, waders, wading boots, fleece, clothing, accessories, sunglasses, nets
/\ the nine weight one

\/ the nine weight one at the bottom
Cabela's -- St. Croix Reign Fly Rods