The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Business Member

tridentfly is on a distinguished road
Default Redington Vapen Red Fly Rod Review

The Redington Vapen Red represents the single greatest change in fly rod construction since the introduction of carbon fiber. Redington teamed up with Winn (of golf fame) to improve upon one piece of the fly rod that has remained virtually unchanged for 100 years – the grip. They've made it synthetic, and they’re the first major manufacturer to do so. But while the grip is the most noticeable part of the rod, the highlight is how it casts.

Know more...please read : Redington Vapen Red Fly Rod Review / Trident Fly Fishing
Old 12-09-2013, 07:56 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Redington Vapen Red Fly Rod Review

Interesting they made it red. Guessing they are limiting their market by that choice.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:18 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Interesting they made it red. Guessing they are limiting their market by that choice.

I have a buddy that works for Redington who said that the red color was intentional so that it would stand out and stir some stream side conversation a la

"Hey, what the hell are you fishing?"

"One of those new Vapens"

"Like it?"

"Yeah, wanna give it a cast?"

For those that just can't stand the color there is the cork handled Vapen.

Oh, and he has been fishing one for awhile now and loves the grip.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:58 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I cast one at the shop. the grip is oddly comfortable. Its got a very unique feeling to it. I worry how much grip youd have with wet fish slime hands though. So redington should just send me one to test out.

It cast very nicely, i was happy with that. its definitly faster then the CT which i thought was a big bonus.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 12-09-2013, 09:03 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be interested to feel the grip. custom builders use things other than cork and it is always interesting to see something new. I'm sure the red will stand out, it is just interesting that they'd limit their market that way. I'm sure they put a lot of thought into it. I suppose they have a particular part of the fly rod market they are targeting and went from there. I'm probably not part of that target market since I prefer to not stand out and not spend river time talking about my gear Look forward to hearing from more folks who try the grip!
Old 12-09-2013, 09:41 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

I'm not so sure the FF world is quite ready for a "golf grip", but Redington is making some serious effort towards grabbing a market share. Everything I have cast from them works very well for a very competitive price. Slow and fast action, 3 or 8WT. Purchased about 5 rods for myself or as gifts and yet to be disappointed.
craigthor likes this.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:08 PM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

I may be new to fly fishing, but I am not new to golf, in fact it is by far my main hobby. Just thought I'd add a little to this convo since I have a great deal of experience with Wynn grips. I made a switch to Wynn grips about 4 years ago and can say with out a doubt they are my favorite grips I have ever used. With that being said, they are one of the LEAST durable grips I've ever used. I use to regrip my clubs every 2 years, now I do it every year and sometimes it's pushing it on a few more used clubs. I will add that I do golf a lot (40-60 rounds) between May-Oct. For golf the durability really is a moot point as all you have to do is regrip the clubs, cost sucks, but it is what it is. I'd be concerned what the durability will be for this fishing grip. I'm sure they've made changes based on the conditions it will be under, but it would def be a concern of mine. Will be interested to see how it holds up.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:39 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I'd be interested to feel the grip. custom builders use things other than cork and it is always interesting to see something new. I'm sure the red will stand out, it is just interesting that they'd limit their market that way. I'm sure they put a lot of thought into it. I suppose they have a particular part of the fly rod market they are targeting and went from there. I'm probably not part of that target market since I prefer to not stand out and not spend river time talking about my gear Look forward to hearing from more folks who try the grip!
I don't see how they are limiting their market.

Looky what I found, a whole series of Redington Vapon Fly rods that don't have red grips. Cool...
Old 12-09-2013, 11:43 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I probably the only one in this forum who owns the Red Vapen Golf Red Grip or the only one who repeatedly confesses of owning it in this forum.
I think the red grip is very comfortable, it is almost like a cushion to your hand, not slipper at all and doesn't make me look like Hemingway .

You won't notice it at all when you are fishing it, I mean how often are you going to admire or checking yourself when you are fishing right? You'll be too worry with what is happening outside the rod tip.

I personally love everything about the Vapen Red, call me a victim of the marketing, but put the aesthetic aside, the rod performs to my liking, it is iight, sensitive, a canon but also a pistol.

The review says no butt power? Well, if you want the butt power, go get the Redington Predator. The Vapen will drag a salad bowl with a bass inside it from the middle of the shaft.

Try one if you can, and hopefully you'll like it too.
cochise likes this.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I was talking specifically about the new grip technology. The link you posted goes to rods with cork grips