The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2013, 01:24 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glass vs plastic

Fiberglass has an inherent disadvantage compared to graphite. It is heavier for the same degree of strength and stiffness. So just as in canoes, jet airplanes, racing cars, and racing yachts, etc, the move is to lighter and stronger composites of kevlar and graphite. In anything that needs to accelerate, changes direction, or stop; greater mass is undesirable and less efficient.

What has been addressed in this discussion is rod action. Rod action is independent of construction material. You can make a fast action bamboo fly rod or a slow action graphite fly rod. You can make a fast action or slow action fiberglass fly rod.

However, for rod blanks of equal length and action, the bamboo blank will be heavier than the fiberglass blank, which will be heavier than the graphite blank. This allows the manufacturer to decide what do to with mass advantage that graphite holds over fiberglass and bamboo as a construction material. For example, the manufacturer can choose to keep his rods lighter or the manufacturer can choose to make the rods stronger.

An overused phrase these days is, "It is, what it is." However, it applies in this case.

No degree of bashing graphite will make fiberglass any better or worse a material for rod construction than "it is.". If you love glass, that is great. But is it necessary or even desirable to put down graphite to show how much you love graphite?

It reminds me a lot of a dry fly guys vs nypmhers thread.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-14-2013, 01:51 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee View Post
I build and fish em all. They each fill a nitch in our fly rod quiver. While I am partial to Bamboo, glass and plastic in that order one material can't cover every situation. Yes, I can fish Bamboo or glass in the surf, but my plastic rods just fill that nitch with less effort on my part.
Don't have much experience with bamboo, and only fish my glass occasionally when feeling nostalgic, but I agree completely...rods are tools and using the right one to match conditions makes sense to me...
Old 12-14-2013, 02:01 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

It's kind of like apples and oranges. A time and place for each, but they're both great.

Last edited by rockriver; 12-14-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:40 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
The real question... Who wants a fast glass rod?
Lots of folks want a fast cheap rod. Hell, I'm in the market for both a rod and a woman matching that description. The question is this. Are rod companies going to just price glass like graphite because it says Sage or Orvis, or price them cheap to get market share and reflect production costs? This is where we get out the popcorn and watch.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:40 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
It's kind of like apples and oranges. A time and place for each, but there both great.
I am wonderfully fond of fruit salad.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:52 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Before I got myself off track on personal preferences,,,my thought was,,,,are fiberglass rod builders going to pursue fast actions in fiberglass..and basically end up were we are at now,,but with a different rod material ?

Mike
Old 12-14-2013, 03:05 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
Before I got myself off track on personal preferences,,,my thought was,,,,are fiberglass rod builders going to pursue fast actions in fiberglass..and basically end up were we are at now,,but with a different rod material ?

Mike
If they do they are nuts...why would anyone want the action of graphite with the weight of glass? What makes glass special,is that it ISN'T like graphite and the difference is worth the extra weight. 2 cents...

Write to some of the manufacturers and ask them. You could get a real answer instead of conjecture from a bunch of guys that only have guesses.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:34 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post

Mike
I'm guessing no. I think they will be content to let their glass rod be a glass rod and fill a niche in their lineup. Market appears to be there.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:42 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
It's kind of like apples and oranges. A time and place for each, but there both great.
Exactly my thoughts Firstly I Fished with Cane Rods then I fished with Glass Rods now I fish with Graphite & as mentioned when they become as Light as The High Modulus Graphite Rods They again will become more popular however who knows when that will be.
I liked Fishing & caught lots of Fish on Cane & Glass Rods however to me they have had their day even though I've seen some Pics of some Beaut Looking Glass Rods here & have wondered what they would be like to Fish compared to The Old ones & Todays Graphite Rods.

So The Bottom line is The People who want to Fish with Cane Rods, Glass Rods or Like me Graphite Rods will continue to do so & if something new arrives on The Scene they will become popular.
Brian
Old 12-14-2013, 04:34 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

A graphite Sage Circa is a slow action fly rod made for those that prefer that type of action. How soon we forget that the Circa won several "best" fly rod awards in 2012.

Jerry Siem Discusses the Sage CIRCA Fly Rod | MidCurrent

Sage CIRCA Has New Technology, Old-School Feel

Or the New Orvis Superfine Touch, full flex graphite fly rod.

Full Flex Fly Rods | Superfine Touch Fly Rods | Fly Fishing -- Orvis

Underground Review: The Orvis Superfine Touch 8' 4wt Small Stream Fly Rod

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy