The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 01:43 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough
Default line wt.

From what I have read, A heavier wt is better for the larger flies IE: 2 thru 1/0.
On a different note for using the smaller 12 thru 18 flies will a 5/6 wt. be ok? Or a 3/5 wt be better? This would be used for Nymph's mainly for the faster water in S.W. North Carolina. Most of the streams I have seen have alot of brush so a Roll cast seems to be the best. As a 20 to 50 ft. would be the longest.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: line wt.

I have a 7'9" 5wt that I've been using since 79. Flies down to 22 are not a problem so long as you adapt a leader that will preform with them. For really little streams a 6'6" slow action 3 or 4 wt. is nice but if you have only the one rod and it being longer I would stay in the 5/6 range.

Look at it this way, a 6wt will cast a size 16 - 22 with the right leader configuration but a short 3wt. will not work very well with a size 2 streamer or a sink tip, split shot etc.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-02-2010, 01:59 PM

stevewes2004 will become famous soon enoughstevewes2004 will become famous soon enough

either would be fine. like Ard, i also have a 7'9" 5wt that i like a lot. but for all around NC stream fishing, i think a 7.5'-8' 4wt med. action is great.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:31 PM

Ard this is a 8' 5/6 appears to have a med action to it.Spooled with a WFF6wt You mentioned leaders, what would you recommend for flies in the 12 to 18 size?
Old 08-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Humm,

I used to build my own and was a fan of using Mason Hard Nylon for the butts which I made rather stout (.22 inch or so) and then Maxima tapered down to a 7 or 8X tippet when 8X became available. Now days I do not build but buy a Dai Riki knotless leader in 7 or 9 foot and add a couple sections to get what I need for a good turnover of the tiny flies. I start with a 5 or 6X and then tip the leader. You could just get a finished leader at 9 or 12 feet that tapers down to 7X and see how it suits your casting style.

For small streams 9 or 12 is going to be too much and you will need to find light leaders in 7'. I never had too many instances where there were really small flies on really small streams. Don't know why that is but it seems a 16 in a good pattern was as small as I had to go. What species of trout are you fishing for and have you noted really small hatches that they are feeding on?

Old 08-02-2010, 03:49 PM

From what I know there are Brown Trout and Rainbows. I have only fished one time before in Highlands NC. I never saw any Hatch per say. I am all new to this so I have been doing alot of research. I found a forum Carolina on the fly seems to be not much traffic. But some insight for NC fishing. info.
From what I have read using Nymps in a 12-18 and dry flies in a 14-16 is what most use. This is a list that I found that a Guide put together.
Flies to use
in Western North Carolina!!!
Adams (Classic & Parachute) Stimulators (Olive, Yellow & Orange)
Hoppers (Dave's & Henry's Fork) Elk Hair Caddis (Tan, Olive & Gray)
Ants (Great droppers, all types and colors) March Brown (Classic & Parachute)
Blue Wing Olives (Classic & Parachute) Hare's Ear (Classic & Parachute)

Adams Parachute #16 Orange Wulff #14
Yellow Stimulator #14 Tan Elk-Wing Caddis #16
Blue-Wing Olive #16 March Brown Parachute #14
Yellow Humpy #14 Tennessee Wulff #14

Nymphs
Sizes 12-18
Sow Bugs Tellico (Classic & Bead Head)
Prince (Classic & Bead Head) Early Stone (Black & Golden)
Hare's Ear (Classic & Bead Head) Flash Backs (Classic & Bead Head)
Midges
Sizes 20-26
Adams Black Olive
Brown Griffith's Gnat Dun
Streamers
Sizes 8-12
Black Marabou Little Brook Trout
Brown Crayfish Royal Coachman
Old 08-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Administrator

If the stream is not under a lot of fishing pressure they should take anything if they are not alarmed by anything (be cautious) I used to use the old (easy to tie) Bi Visible for such streams. Pretty good floater if you have stiff hackle. You should be able to find the pattern with a quick search.

Ard

Old 08-02-2010, 05:06 PM

Thanks Ard for all the info.
Also thanks to Steve on the Pink insight.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:57 AM

stevewes2004 will become famous soon enoughstevewes2004 will become famous soon enough

you may have seen this already, but here are the designated streams in jackson county around highlands.
Jackson County NC Trout Streams | Trout Streams | Streams
Old 08-03-2010, 11:09 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajay View Post
From what I have read, A heavier wt is better for the larger flies IE: 2 thru 1/0.
That is a good general observation.

Quote:
On a different note for using the smaller 12 thru 18 flies will a 5/6 wt. be ok? Or a 3/5 wt be better?
Rods and lines make a delivery system. The more mass that is on the leader will determine which delivery system that you need. If you are using multiple flies, lead or tungsten weight, indo-bobbers, you may want to consider using a 5 or 6 weight. If you are dead drifting nymphs without weight, you can fish a 3 to 5 weight.

Another concern is the rod's backbone for larger fish? A 20" wild Rainbow Trout is plenty of fight on a 5 weight. It's more of a fight on a 3 weight. Could one catch a large fish on a lighter rod? Yes, but the fight could go longer than one wishes although there are some skilled fishers who could make the fight shorter.

Quote:
This would be used for Nymph's mainly for the faster water in S.W. North Carolina. Most of the streams I have seen have alot of brush so a Roll cast seems to be the best. As a 20 to 50 ft. would be the longest.
Faster water would make me err towards a heavier rod. The addition of the hydraulics and surface tension add a bit more resistance when pulling a nymph rig out of the water.

As for roll casting distance, a heavier delivery system will roll your nymph rigs further.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 08-03-2010 at 08:51 PM.