The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   entry level-priced 2 piece, mid-priced 4 piece (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/3409-entry-level-priced-2-piece-mid-priced-4-piece.html)

tca1954 02-22-2008 04:26 PM

entry level-priced 2 piece, mid-priced 4 piece

I am wondering why it is difficult to find 2 piece rods in a mid-higher end fly rod, while entry level-rods seem to have a good selection of 2 piece versions. Scott E2 or Sage VT2 (mid-high priced) are not available or have a limited selection in 2 piece versions. Scott A2 or Sage launch (entry level-priced) are available in 2 piece versions. What's up with the entry level rods being mostly 2 piece and the mid-high being mostly 3-4 or more pieces?

Frank Whiton 02-22-2008 06:02 PM

Re: entry level-priced 2 piece, mid-priced 4 piece

Hi tca1954,

It is probably a simple matter of cost.

Frank

redyote 08-06-2011 04:28 PM

I have noticed that a 2 pc is typically 10-20% less than the identical rod in 4 pc.

ncsaltfly 08-07-2011 12:24 PM

i am assuming the 3 and 4 piece rods are more about the travel ability! i bought a 2 piece bimini bay 9wt which im very happy with and it was in the 60-75 dollar range.

ncflyboy 08-07-2011 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Whiton (Post 20150)
Hi tca1954,

It is probably a simple matter of cost.

Frank

I agree. Bass Pro Shops has a line of rods called "Dogwood Canyon." They are the lowest in price, and coincidentally...2 pc rods. I've cast the 4wt, and it was a nice stick to fish with.

Cheers,

Robert

gbar222 08-11-2011 01:01 AM

I just picked up a Winston Passport in a 590-4 and got it for $179 with a $20 off Cabelas coupon. What a great rod! This rod is as close to the 600-700 dollar rods as you can get at this price range. I was surprised and could not be happier with the purchase. Spend a few more $ and whatever you get, get a 4 piece. You will be much happier with it in the long run. Good luck!

rockriver 08-30-2011 04:05 PM

A 4 piece is a lot easier to haul around and strore.

Joni 08-30-2011 06:59 PM

Use to be, when buying a car, you had to order and pay more for an automatic...things have reversed. Demand.

I can tell you, Orvis made more 4 piece because, that is what the people want. As mentioned by several, easier to transport.
You are limited to where and how you can transport a two piece. Now, you are spending more $, you want to have that as you main rod.

Modern technology ruled out the old thought that the action is different on multi rods. If you want to get technical, I have always heard ODD number pieces was the answer because it allowed a more perfect placement of the guides...I don't know for sure on that, but it made a difference building them. Harmonics.

I grew up fishing my mothers hand me downs. Old and heavy, but I was happy. My first rod purchase was a Pflueger. Price was down there. The weight, balance, action of this rod, totally put me off fly fishing. Seriously. It was friggin work!!!! I went back to my moms old bamboo.
Then I bought a Sage...OMG!!!!! needless to say, I teach, guide and fish 3 to 4 days a week.

IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

But, on a side not, I did catch fish with the Pflueger.