Line Suggestion TFO BVK 8wt

ts47

Reaction score
I recently picked up a BVK 9' 8wt. Does anyone have any experience with what weight floating line works best? I know the BVKs typically like to be over lined by a half to full line in the lighter weights. Is this the case for my rod as well?

Also, has anyone tried the common cents measurement on this rod?

I did try to search this before posting. For some reason "BVK" turns up no results. Did I do something wrong in my search?

Last edited:

Joni

Reaction score
The BVK is a fast action rod isn't it? I have an Orvis tip flex 8 wt that I bought some Sage BASS line for and it is awesome. I think it is 230 grain. If I didn't use this line, I would get an 8 WF in SA GPX line. Faster rods I prefer a little more umph.

ts47

Reaction score
The BVK is a fast action rod isn't it? I have an Orvis tip flex 8 wt that I bought some Sage BASS line for and it is awesome. I think it is 230 grain. If I didn't use this line, I would get an 8 WF in SA GPX line. Faster rods I prefer a little more umph.
Thanks Joni,

I sort of assume a GPX or half weight heavier line would be the preference. Some of the BVKs prefer a full line size heavier. With the 8 wt, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that it was closer to a true 8 than some of the other models. I just don't know though and was hoping someone on the forum may have some personal experience with this rod?

mudbug

Reaction score
I recently picked up a BVK 9' 8wt. Does anyone have any experience with what weight floating line works best? I know the BVKs typically like to be over lined by a half to full line in the lighter weights. Is this the case for my rod as well?

Also, has anyone tried the common cents measurement on this rod?

I did try to search this before posting. For some reason "BVK" turns up no results. Did I do something wrong in my search?
It will still depend on what you are using the rod for.

I have three lines for mine.

Rio Outbound Short for tossing big bass flies and large surface bugs for both bass and saltwater.

Orvis Bonefish line that I bought simply because it was on sale and I wanted something with a longer taper for clear, shallow water and softer presentations

Orvis Depth Charge 250 grn which is the line I seem to use on it most for both bass and saltwater.

All of these work fine for me.

Joni

Reaction score
Mudbug, I too have the Depth Charge but it is a fast sinking 30' into Intermediate. I didn't stop to think that the OP might want a sinking line. Cool idea.

I guess you could go all sorts of different tapers....I just like a multi tasking line...LOL. On that note, I do have the Versa Tip line from Orvis with four different heads. I just don't use it as much as I thought I would.

mudbug

Reaction score
Thanks Joni,

I sort of assume a GPX or half weight heavier line would be the preference. Some of the BVKs prefer a full line size heavier. With the 8 wt, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that it was closer to a true 8 than some of the other models. I just don't know though and was hoping someone on the forum may have some personal experience with this rod?

I haven't found that.

I have a 6wt, an 8wt, and a 10wt. I didn't intentionally overline any of them.

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

Mudbug, I too have the Depth Charge but it is a fast sinking 30' into Intermediate. I didn't stop to think that the OP might want a sinking line. Cool idea.
My 8 wt get's used mostly for Bass, Pike, and Saltwater and spends most of it's time wearing the Depth Charge.

I am a huge fan of fishing neutral weight flies on a sinking line for all of these. Bendbacks, Decievers, Foam Head Minnows, Diamond Hair Minnows, Seaducers, even Gurglers tied up in shrimp colors.

I usually have an 8 wt Redington Predator with me that spends most of it's time wearing the Rio Outbound for top water tossing poppers, gurglers or even the previously mentioned Bendbacks, Decievers, Foam Head Minnows, and Diamond Hair Minnows when I want to fish them shallow.

ts47

Reaction score
I haven't found that.

I have a 6wt, an 8wt, and a 10wt. I didn't intentionally overline any of them.

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

My 8 wt get's used mostly for Bass, Pike, and Saltwater and spends most of it's time wearing the Depth Charge.

I am a huge fan of fishing neutral weight flies on a sinking line for all of these. Bendbacks, Decievers, Foam Head Minnows, Diamond Hair Minnows, Seaducers, even Gurglers tied up in shrimp colors.

I usually have an 8 wt Redington Predator with me that spends most of it's time wearing the Rio Outbound for top water tossing poppers, gurglers or even the previously mentioned Bendbacks, Decievers, Foam Head Minnows, and Diamond Hair Minnows when I want to fish them shallow.
Thanks Mudbug,

My question was really geared toward finding out what weight forward floating line performed best on a 9' 8wt TFO BVK. With a sinking line, I feel comfortable that a 300 grain head would work for my purposes. I'm just not sure about the weight forward floating line - an 8, 8.5 (like an SA GPX) or heavier (like the new Rio Grande which although it would be called an 8 is actually a 9wt)?

rapman

Reaction score
I've got an 8wt (330 gr.) Rio Outbound on my 9ft 8wt BVK. I throw a lot of weighted and/or bulky streamers with it - often into wind. Works very well for my casting style.

ts47

Reaction score
I've got an 8wt (330 gr.) Rio Outbound on my 9ft 8wt BVK. I throw a lot of weighted and/or bulky streamers with it - often into wind. Works very well for my casting style.
(CORRECTED, I originally pulled the specs of the Outbound Short)I just looked at the Outbound on the Rio site. It says the head weight for the WF8F line is the 330 grains, or equivalent to an 11 wt line! I'm guessing that would move some mass. The AFFTA head weight for a true 8wt line is around 210 grains.

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

Have Wulff Bermuda Triangle on mine. It casts beautifully.
Thanks for the reply Aggie,

I couldn't find the specs on the Wulff Bermuda Triangle.

mudbug

Reaction score
Thanks Mudbug,

My question was really geared toward finding out what weight forward floating line performed best on a 9' 8wt TFO BVK. With a sinking line, I feel comfortable that a 300 grain head would work for my purposes. I'm just not sure about the weight forward floating line - an 8, 8.5 (like an SA GPX) or heavier (like the new Rio Grande which although it would be called an 8 is actually a 9wt)?
Gotcha.

It seems that the Rio Outbound that I sometimes use is heavy, Which now that I'm thinking about it I did choose because when fishing for bass I'm simply picking up big bugs and dropping them back down as the boat moves along and making lots of short casts.

And I was wrong about the other line, it is a Sage Tropical (Actually a Rio line made for sage) and it is also a bit heavy. Sorry, I should have looked before I spoke. The Orvis Bonefish line I bought was for my 7wt Sage Fli.

So, it seems that I am actually overlining this rod, not intentionally but simply because for my use the 8wt lines I chose are built that way.

ts47

Reaction score
Gotcha.

It seems that the Rio Outbound that I sometimes use is heavy, Which now that I'm thinking about it I did choose because when fishing for bass I'm simply picking up big bugs and dropping them back down as the boat moves along and making lots of short casts.

And I was wrong about the other line, it is a Sage Tropical (Actually a Rio line made for sage) and it is also a bit heavy. Sorry, I should have looked before I spoke. The Orvis Bonefish line I bought was for my 7wt Sage Fli.

So, it seems that I am actually overlining this rod, not intentionally but simply because for my use the 8wt lines I chose are built that way.
Thanks Mudbug,

Many of the lines out are actually heavier than the advertised line weight, but in varying degrees. With all the different choices, I don't want to put the wrong weight line on any of my rods. If you didn't already know, you can google aftm a fly line standards to see the chart. To make matters worse, many of today's rods aren't actually the advertised weight. I may try the common cents method to see what weight this rod actually is. That should help decide what line to use.

Todd

aggie182

Reaction score
Upper Texas Gulf Coast - Jackson Kayak Fishing Tea
(CORRECTED, I originally pulled the specs of the Outbound Short)I just looked at the Outbound on the Rio site. It says the head weight for the WF8F line is the 330 grains, or equivalent to an 11 wt line! I'm guessing that would move some mass. The AFFTA head weight for a true 8wt line is around 210 grains.

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

Thanks for the reply Aggie,

I couldn't find the specs on the Wulff Bermuda Triangle.
Bermuda Triangle Taper Floating Fly Line | RoyalWulff

ted4887

Reaction score
I like both the SA GPX and SA Magnum Textured. The Magnum line being my favorite of the two for floating lines.

Intermediate i like the Rio Musky/Pike line, and sink lines I use Wet Tip Express and Streamer Express

ts47

Reaction score
I like both the SA GPX and SA Magnum Textured. The Magnum line being my favorite of the two for floating lines.

Intermediate i like the Rio Musky/Pike line, and sink lines I use Wet Tip Express and Streamer Express
Thanks Ted,

This is helpful. I've always liked SA and have it on most of my rods. What weight head do you have on the Streamer Express? Does it feel like the right head weight - light, heavy or right on?

Todd

D

deathwish

I have tried Allot of high end lines with same set up for salmon fishing and by far best on my reel is cortland platium 9weight line.

comeonavs

Reaction score
I have tried Allot of high end lines with same set up for salmon fishing and by far best on my reel is cortland platium 9weight line.
This helps me too, as I am thinking of getting the BVK 7wt and using the RIO Gold 8wt line I have on it. Which obviously is a overline but the BVK is fast and could probably handle it.

ts47

Reaction score
This helps me too, as I am thinking of getting the BVK 7wt and using the RIO Gold 8wt line I have on it. Which obviously is a overline but the BVK is fast and could probably handle it.
If the line recommendations we are getting are any indication, my 8wt is likely a 9wt and your 7wt is likely an 8wt. I hope to use the common cents method and measure my 8wt on New Years day. I'll post back after I've done this.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
In general I dislike over-lining a rod. In the case of TFO BVK, however, I find it appropriate. These rods are light and quick but not refined. We have two; a 9'/#6 I have semi-retired (just too unsophisticated for me) which fishes well with a clunky RIO Grande and my wife has the #8 in question (an early one with the Recoil guides). We through the kitchen sink with it trying to tune it as a bonefish rod and ultimately selected the SA Textured Magnum Taper is its best line match-up. Magnum is not only a 1/2 size heavy but aggressively forward loaded as well...this suits this rods personality. It features a longish rear taper which aids in smoothing things out on longer casts.

So loaded my wife brings her new BVK to the Bahamas only to have the alpha guide say to her on her first day, "Lady, don't you have a smooth line that doesn't make all that noise? Dats going to scare de bonefish!" So much for all that experimentation and fine tuning, she wound up having me re-rig it with an SA Bonefish taper.