The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 12:46 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough
Default Who designed the Winston WT and LT?

S&S who is more knowledgeable on fly rod design than most people I know is a little down on the recent ownership of Winston compared to Scott and Sage. From about 1998 to 2009 I found myself in Twin Bridges once or twice a year running my dogs in field trials. Every year I was able to take an hour or two and visit the Winston shop and try out their rods. Great experience even got to meet the new owner once as they were testing a new rod on the lawn.

Anyways after all this testing I fell in love with a 7 1/2' 3 weight WT, and my wife surprised me by ordering one custom with my name on it for my birthday. My second favorite rod was the LT, both were super, but the WT was more accurate for me. Were these rods designed by an earlier designer or the new ownership? I also got to meet Glen Bracket who set up shop at the other end of town. Really neat guy.

John
Old 01-06-2014, 01:00 PM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Who designed the Winston WT and LT?

I have a 9ft 5wt for dries.I believe possibly that when tom Morgan owned Winston he might have designed that model.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:09 PM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice
Default Re: Who designed the Winston WT and LT?

My favorite is my WT 6'6" 3 wt I even have one never out of tube need to sell it . I bought 3 of those rods at a very good price and don't need 3
Old 01-06-2014, 03:36 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

My belief is that it was Tom Morgan with input from bamboo guru Glenn Bracket that designed the WT's. These rods slowly and carefully evolved during the process of having blanks custom fabricated by quality suppliers until Winston eventually started rolling their own. These are the rods, especially in 8'/#4 and 8 1/2'/#5&6, that made many a trout angler fall in love with carefully crafted, modest actioned, rich green rods made in a tin shack on a back ally in Twin Bridges. Contemporary Winston, wisely, continues to build WT models and the real thing is still made by Tom Morgan Rodsmiths. Whenever I see Glenn, and I hope I will in a couple weeks from now, I try to encourage him to add a graphite rod building addition to Sweetgrass...he resounds with his wise, gentle smile and encourages me to order a cane rod from him.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:06 PM

akos75 is on a distinguished road

As far as I know the WT was designed by Tom Morgan, the LT by Sam Drukman.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:41 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

And Sam Druckman also designed BIIx...not his best work but he was striving to synthesize traditional flexing Winston actions into a more modern, light weight design with broader applications. I tested that rod in a classic Winston size (8 1/2'/#4) and found it disappointing. He felt it needed further development too but it was then that things feel apart and G. Brackett departed forming Sweetgrass accompanied by long time Winston point man, Jerry Kustich, and Sam quickly followed leaving Winston without a professional rod designer or even a noted hard core fly fisher on staff; a serious issue for a rod maker that, oddly, continues to persist.

Winston are you listening? SPEND THE MONEY!
coug likes this.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:59 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
And Sam Druckman also designed BIIx...not his best work but he was striving to synthesize traditional flexing Winston actions into a more modern, light weight design with broader applications. I tested that rod in a classic Winston size (8 1/2'/#4) and found it disappointing. He felt it needed further development too but it was then that things feel apart and G. Brackett departed forming Sweetgrass accompanied by long time Winston point man, Jerry Kustich, and Sam quickly followed leaving Winston without a professional rod designer or even a noted hard core fly fisher on staff; a serious issue for a rod maker that, oddly, continues to persist.

Winston are you listening? SPEND THE MONEY!
Wondered what happened. I was a big Winston fan and my 2pc 8'6" WT in a four is still one of my favorite rods. But I bought a BIIx on faith because I had never had a bad Winston, and ended up selling it after one season. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:41 PM

sageandonion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
And Sam Druckman also designed BIIx...not his best work but he was striving to synthesize traditional flexing Winston actions into a more modern, light weight design with broader applications.
Didn't Sam design the BIIt? I read a year or so ago, that the designer of the BIIt considered it his best ever rod, but I can't remember if that was a quote from Sam Druckman.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:23 PM

czando is on a distinguished road

In my opinion the Scott radian is what the BIIX or biiix series should have been!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2014, 10:53 PM

mtbusman has a spectacular aura aboutmtbusman has a spectacular aura about

It's my understanding that the b2t was designed by Druckman.