The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 12:28 PM

vana2 is on a distinguished road
Default What about rod durability and reliability?

I understand that these modern rods require extra care due to the extremely stiff materials used in their construction and that they are going to be VERY sensitive to impact damage and scratch damage/failure because of the low resin content of the rod blank.

Been doing a lot of research and I am concerned because it seems that all brands of rods (regardless of price) have many negative reviews due to tip breakage or even catastrophic failure of the rod itself. The only thing that I can think of is that in the attempt to minimize rod weight the manufacturers have gone too far and that people are overstressing the rod in trying to cast farther than it is designed to.

Any comments on rod durability/reliability or is it just necessary to pack a couple of extra rods for back-up?

Getting back into fly tying and fishing after a lengthy absence I would appreciate some help and a recommendation for which rod to buy.

Considering a 5wt 9’ to 10’ medium-fast rod primarily for nymph fishing 10” to 14” bass in a wadeable small river environment.

I am looking for a light rod to fill a niche in with my current fly fishing gear which consists of a 7wt 8 ˝’ medium-fast rod and an 8wt 9’ fast rod that I use for lake fishing largemouth and smallmouth bass. I plan on purchasing a 3wt ultralight outfit for panfish in the very near future.

Thanks in advance!

Vana2
Old 01-14-2014, 12:40 PM
mridenour

Default Re: What about rod durability and reliability?

In the last couple years I saw one rod get broken on a salmon. I don't think rods are all that delicate. I use a BVK a LOT and they are known to be a bit brittle but I haven't managed to snap it yet.

There aren't a lot of complaints around here about rods breaking and when they do, it is usually due to a big split shot or something smacking the blank hard or putting a hand up on the blank above the handle for more leverage or slamming it in the car door.

Rods are mostly made great and are amazingly strong for their light weight.
imxer and fredaevans like this.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:52 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Hi Vana2, welcome to the site.

If you’d have posted this around the 2005 time frame, I would’ve agreed to a good part of it. But today, rod manufacturers are producing rods that actually are tougher than the ones produced, just a few years ago.
When if comes to breaks in the tip section, most are due to user error. Of course no manufacturing process is 100%, but my confidence in most ( not all ) of today’s name brands is such that breakage is way down on my list of concerns. That and most of the name brands extend first time owners, warranty coverage that far outstrips what would be considered reasonable in most any other line of consumer products.

Never underestimate how many negative reviews a single unhappy customer can spawn. Do a thing right a thousand times and the world takes no notice, drop the ball once and they’ll be showing it on the highlight reels for all time.

There is another thread going in the rods section asking about med/fast rods. You might want to take a look at that one for some ideas as to who offers them.

Again, welcome aboard.
TT
r reese, fredaevans and mridenour like this.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:30 AM

vana2 is on a distinguished road

Thanks very much for the feedback - raises my level of confidence in fly rod quality!

It is a balmy -4 deg C this morning (balmy after the -40 last week!) thinking of spring! Will going to the local sports store to try out a couple of fly rods today

Vana2
Old 01-15-2014, 07:59 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

The one thing I would add, if a rod is going to fail due to inherent defect, it is going to fail fast. So with that in mind, if you are going on a remote trip somewhere, make sure you've tried out your brand new rod before leaving on the trip.

If the rod survived the first couple of outings, it's not just going to break on its own.

I wouldn't spend any time worrying about thqt sort of stuff.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 01-15-2014, 08:09 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

My personal opinion is: Once you reach a certain modulus you will see more breakage from what I call bruising. To me bruising is any significant impact be it from a fly, tree, rock.... whatever. Eventually it will fail at the bruise and 90% of the time the manufacturing process is blamed because the rod "failed for no reason". If a rod is going to fail from a manufacturing flaw I would expect to to fail either during the first outing or battle with Moby Trout. There will always be a couple of failures due to infant mortality of any manufactured item.

Lower modulus blanks, such as an RX6 or IM6 don't seem to have that problem as often. Neither do Bamboo or Fiberglass blanks.

You always have to have a back up. You have a spare tire in your car? Same with rods.... plus then you get to feed the addiction with more toys!!!!

Want it or not, you now have my personal opinion

Pete
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 01-15-2014, 01:41 PM

timd will become famous soon enough

I've broken 2 graphite rods in 50 years of fly fishing. One in a car window , an 8 weight and one 4weight last year on the second cast . The rod snapped when fighting a 12" brown trout. This was obviously a defective rod and was replaced by the manufacturer. Buy from a reputable manufacturer and you don't have any worries.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:27 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

My graphite Diamondback has been bouncing around pickup beds for 10 years now. The tip broke in the truck door. The butt couldn't stand up to a tailgate slam. Never broke on a fish.

CAB
Old 01-15-2014, 06:56 PM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

I know I am jinxing myself, but I have never broken a fly rod in 22 years of flyfishing, and believe me, I have had a lot of different gear.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:31 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

The OP, welcome to the Forum. knows something about breakage as he referred to "catastrophic failure". I only experienced it once and it was quite exciting! I was fishing a new 9'/#9 from a major maker and I was inside the forks out of Montauk in a guide's boat and we were surrounded by busting false albacore. I hooked up quickly and the fish did its typical "let me show you the color of your backing" thing and then I commenced to regain line. With perhaps 50' of line out and the rod arched below my shoulder, these fish are largely fought off the reel, it sounded like a .22 caliber round went off and the 4 pc. rod suddenly was a 7 piecer. It broke clean in three places simultaneously, or so it seemed. Actually, in catastrophic failure it breaks in one key stressed point and then re-breaks on the sharp rebound in one or more other places. Highly dramatic. We had lots of other rods aboard and had a memorable afternoon hooking one albie after another. The rod's manufacturer immediately and without question replaced the rod and I still use it about once a year. It has not broken but I will never have complete confidence in it and I use it in part to TRY and break it. By now, it has caught quite a few fish.

This #9 was supposed to be tough but I have intentionally bough rods of the thin walled, slender diameter, super high modulus ilk that I knew to be fragile. What I like to refer to as "sports car" rods. These really are the kind of rods I like best, light, quick recovering, low mass rods with "transparent" communication with the fly line. I, personally, only have broken one and not while fishing but I have seen plenty of broken ones. I have long said, "would you tow your boat down a dirt track to a ramp with your sports car or use the truck?" So I have fished rods like this, knowing the risk involved, for their technical presentation advantages and backed them up with thicker, tougher rods like Diamondbacks for heavier duty applications. I have no issue having multiple rods of the same length and line weight for varied situations.

But the fly rod makers have caught on. Each designer wants to achieve that empirically responsive, low mass magic wand but each rod maker wants it to not break every time a duffus tries to pull his errantly cast fly out of a willow. So the material science guys have employed these cool, aerospace matrix technologies to make the newest rods lighter, stronger, less vibration, truer tracking and more communicative than anything that has come before. Its not as esoteric as it was some years back but is sure is grand.