The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By moucheur2003
  • 1 Post By mridenour
  • 1 Post By planettrout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 07:09 AM

vana2 is on a distinguished road
Default What rod weight/length/action is best for nymphing

Help Please!

Getting back into fly tying and fishing after a lengthy absence I would appreciate some help and a recommendation for which rod to try.

Coming from a time where rod choice was pretty well limited to 7wt 8-1/2" glass I find all the rod options a little overwhelming.

What rod weight/length/action would you recommend I look at?

Most of my fishing is done in small rivers for smallmouth bass that run 10 to 14 in length.

I use nymphs 75% of the time; 15% for small streamers and wet flies; 5% hoppers and poppers and 5% dries. Hooks are typically #16-#10.

Thanks in advance.

Vana2
Old 01-15-2014, 08:44 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What rod weight/length/action is best for nymphing

9' is a good versatile choice for nymphing as well as other uses in weights 4, 5 or 6. The action is not as important in short-line nymphing as having a sensitive tip to help you detect subtle strikes, but for other uses a medium-fast rod that fits your casting style can't hurt. Some folks who do mostly short-line, high-stick nymphing prefer longer rods up to 10', but they can be less useful for other kinds of fishing. You can make do with a shorter rod too, but once you get down below about 8 1/2 feet you are giving up a bit of usefulness for high-sticking.
fly_guy12955 likes this.

Last edited by moucheur2003; 01-16-2014 at 04:21 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:01 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

How long is a piece of rope?

You're like to get a dozen opinions, all of them valid .

I'm happy nymphing with any rod 3-8 weight and 7-10' long.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:34 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

I do LOTS of nymphing with a 9' rod. Almost every time I go out I wish I had a 10' rod. Next nymphing rod is going to be 10'. I'll probably wish I had gotten and 11' rod or maybe even a 13' rod. I was the same way when I used to own a boat.

With a 9' rod I can fish about any presentation I know how to do and that is probably the best place to start.

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
How long is a piece of rope?

You're like to get a dozen opinions, all of them valid .

I'm happy nymphing with any rod 3-8 weight and 7-10' long.
Everyone knows a piece of rope is 9' long. Any longer than that is just called a rope. LOL!
moucheur2003 likes this.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:35 AM

dar is on a distinguished road

You said you were targeting smallmouth in the 10" - 14" range. Then, I would say a 9' 6wt should get the job done, for nymphing, small to medium size streamers and small to medium size poppers. Rod action would be up to you, but a medium/fast would be a good start.

My two smallmouth rods are a 9' 6wt St Croix Legend Ultra, 4 pc and a St Croix Legend Elite 9' 8wt 4pc.

Dave
Old 01-16-2014, 09:34 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I and my kids mostly nymph fish with 9 1/2' to 10' fly rods for Trout, in #4 - #6wt. I started using longer rods in 1985 with a Scott "G" series 10', 5Wt. Here my son Michael is using a 10', 5wt. Loomis Streamdance on the East Walker River...I like the 6wts. for windy days on larger rivers in MT...

Click the image to open in full size.

PT/TB
mridenour likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 01-16-2014, 10:00 AM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

If you are mostly nymphing for smallies but want a rod that you can do lots of other stuff with, my vote would be a fast action 9'6" 6wt. You could go to 10' as well without losing much or even anything, really since you probably don't need to do any delicate presentations to smallies. A longer rod will be good for casting far on still water as well.