The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 09:17 AM

sageandonion is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Winston: anyone recognise this model?

The guy insists the rod I'm asking about is 8'3", so I'm going to pass on it.

I'll post more if Winston get back to me... maybe one of you guys will buy it... although I'd enquire about the reserve first (can't really tell you what the seller told me in confidence).
Old 01-20-2014, 10:24 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Look at the cap on the rod tube, it says 8' - 3wt.-3pc.

Click the image to open in full size.

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 01-20-2014, 11:30 AM

sageandonion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
Look at the cap on the rod tube, it says 8' - 3wt.-3pc.
Unlike my other Winston rods, it doesn't actually say '3wt', or '#3' on the cap, just '3'. The rod itself has '#3' on it. But like I said... the guy says he has measured the rod and absolutely insists it's 8'3".
Old 01-20-2014, 02:07 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
The progenitor to the WT I was referring to has no parts suggestive of broom handles (except the reel seat insert). Over-lining a soft tipped classic Winston might actually disqualify one from fishing with it. Ironically, were I to elect to fish my early 80's 8 1/2'/#6, I would probably start off with a modern 5.5-weight line like the new Gold. The tips are very easily collapsed on these early Tom Morgan designs and, as with any fly rod, this is to be avoided.

Burk, Have you introduced your friends in Michigan to the 8 1/2' Zeniths? And I would include the contemporary Loomis Streamdance GLX 8 1/2' rods in this elite, shorter presentation rod category too. These rods have subtlety in taper transition, absence from oscillation, superior tip recovery and greatly reduced mass relative to the Winston in my collection. I am inclined to suspect that the feel Morgan achieved in these earlier designs was somewhat influential on Rajeff and Croston when they dialed back their high performance designs to develop these sweet, smaller river rods.
I've told this story before, but every year for a number of years I got to visit the Winston factory in Twin Bridges. They have a casting lawn in front with little markers every ten feet where they let you test the rods. One year I decided I needed a short, light small stream rod, so I tested every three weight eight feet and shorter that they made.

Coming from Scott G's I inclined toward the WT and LT series. The thing I noticed was how wonderfully accurate the WT was, I ended up getting a 7'-6" 3weight WT. Since then I am impressed how far I can cast a 3# line. It's not a rod I want to use with large flies or in the wind, but small dries in calm weather you can cast it pretty far, while within 40' you can hit a small window easily.

John
Old 01-20-2014, 04:14 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sageandonion View Post
Unlike my other Winston rods, it doesn't actually say '3wt', or '#3' on the cap, just '3'. The rod itself has '#3' on it. But like I said... the guy says he has measured the rod and absolutely insists it's 8'3".
If the guy measured the individual pieces and added them together instead of assembling the rod he may have come up with 8'3" ??
Old 01-20-2014, 04:27 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishiowa View Post
If the guy measured the individual pieces and added them together instead of assembling the rod he may have come up with 8'3" ??
Excellent point!
Old 01-20-2014, 05:53 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I could easily be incorrect but I just don't recall an 8'3" Winston. Orvis built a lovely 8'3"/#3 in the later 80's in small numbers for the Japanese market. I don't believe it was ever marketed here but a few found their way into some Orvis owned shops.

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

And the great Per Brandon builds an 8'3"/#4 cane rod that is out of this world...but that is a different story altogether.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:22 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
I just looked at the cap on one of my Winston rods and it says...9' -6-3pc...that would be a 9' 6wt. 3pc. WT...not a 9'6 WT...

Go figure...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 01-20-2014, 06:44 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

Rich's (fishiowa) post got me thinking. My 8' three wt, three piece WT is on the other coast but I decided to measure my Winston 8'6" 5 wt WT. Each section measured 34 7/8 inches for a total of 8'8 and 5/8 inches. Assembled the rod was an exact 8'6". Not the same rod but another 3 piece WT. Maybe that does account for the sellers extra 3".

Offhand, the only Winston I can recall which came in an 8'3" length was an LT.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:03 AM

myfly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Does anyone know anything about this apparently one-off Winston WT on ebay?

R.L. Winston fly rod - Custom WT-3 "Tully Special" 8'3" 2/38 rod | eBay

I'm not so sure it's 8'3" - more like 8' 3wt - but if you know better, please let me know.

The seller doesn't seem to know one end of a rod from the other. His replies to my questions are driving me nuts!

I know I risk competition by flagging up the auction, but apart from anything, I'd like to know exactly what it is.

Thanks.
The indication for inches are missing so imo it is a 8' rod 3wt

Click the image to open in full size.

Mike