The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 02:43 PM

sageandonion is on a distinguished road
Default Winston: anyone recognise this model?

Does anyone know anything about this apparently one-off Winston WT on ebay?

R.L. Winston fly rod - Custom WT-3 "Tully Special" 8'3" 2/38 rod | eBay

I'm not so sure it's 8'3" - more like 8' 3wt - but if you know better, please let me know.

The seller doesn't seem to know one end of a rod from the other. His replies to my questions are driving me nuts!

I know I risk competition by flagging up the auction, but apart from anything, I'd like to know exactly what it is.

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Winston: anyone recognise this model?

Have you tried Winston's site? Otherwise call them tomorrow,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-19-2014, 03:45 PM

bear 007 is a jewel in the roughbear 007 is a jewel in the roughbear 007 is a jewel in the roughbear 007 is a jewel in the rough

It looks like its a 8' 3wt 2 3/8oz WT
Old 01-19-2014, 04:09 PM

labtrout will become famous soon enoughlabtrout will become famous soon enough

Yup, it's an 8-foot 3-weight, 3-piece WT. Uplocking reelseat with nickel silver hardware. Looks like a standard factory rod to me. Winston has often made private-labeled rods for TU auctions, as well as for guides etc.

I see nothing "special" about this one except for the walnut spacer, which was a popular option years ago until they stopped offering different woods. Nice rod but I certainly would not pay a premium for the "Tulley Special" moniker.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:39 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

I came across an 8 1/2'/#6 2 pc., spigot ferruled Winston the other day that I haven't seen like forever. It has a down locking, walnut spacer reel seat and no name/model designation other than Winston and the length line size and weight on it. It likely is one of the J.Kennedy Fisher, Morgan/Brackett Winstons.

Other than the green, you would not believe how different it looks compared to the current rods. The stripping guide is of the "Carbaloy" type not ceramic and the thread wraps are tiny, just barely covering the guide feet. Most impressively the finish on the wraps is so thin and uniform unlike todays unsightly globs and not a bit of finish overlaps onto the blank; true hand-built craftsmanship. I did put it together and gave it a shake and remembered really liking it around the early 80's. But it's too cold to go out and cast it nor has it gotten any quicker in its recovery but it did strike me that one of the new 1/2 heavy #5 lines would be worth rigging on this rod. I unearthed a 9'/#4 2 pc. SP too. They are both in fine shape and made me think of the recent "Do Rods Become Obsolete" thread. Now I'm thinking maybe, yes.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:59 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I came across an 8 1/2'/#6 2 pc., spigot ferruled Winston the other day that I haven't seen like forever. It has a down locking, walnut spacer reel seat and no name/model designation other than Winston and the length line size and weight on it. It likely is one of the J.Kennedy Fisher, Morgan/Brackett Winstons.

Other than the green, you would not believe how different it looks compared to the current rods. The stripping guide is of the "Carbaloy" type not ceramic and the thread wraps are tiny, just barely covering the guide feet. Most impressively the finish on the wraps is so thin and uniform unlike todays unsightly globs and not a bit of finish overlaps onto the blank; true hand-built craftsmanship. I did put it together and gave it a shake and remembered really liking it around the early 80's. But it's too cold to go out and cast it nor has it gotten any quicker in its recovery but it did strike me that one of the new 1/2 heavy #5 lines would be worth rigging on this rod. I unearthed a 9'/#4 2 pc. SP too. They are both in fine shape and made me think of the recent "Do Rods Become Obsolete" thread. Now I'm thinking maybe, yes.
I still think those old 8 1/2 foot WT's are great rods on smaller water like the Holy Water on the Ausable. I suspect if I could only have one only to trout fish MI it would be an 8 1/2 WT 5 weight to this day. And if you had all three (4-5-6) you could cover everything.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:00 AM

sageandonion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear 007 View Post
It looks like its a 8' 3wt 2 3/8oz WT
That's what I think - they're hardly going to make an 8'3" rod in limited numbers for one customer (or any customer for that matter). I'll ping a message to Winston to see if they can confirm.

---------- Post added at 05:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
I still think those old 8 1/2 foot WT's are great rods on smaller water like the Holy Water on the Ausable. I suspect if I could only have one only to trout fish MI it would be an 8 1/2 WT 5 weight to this day. And if you had all three (4-5-6) you could cover everything.
I had the revered 8'6" 5wt WT and thought it was like a broom handle compared to the GVX and BIIt. Too stiff in the butt compared to the other two. In this respect, I'm obviously an oddball.

If I get the rod referred to on this thread, it'll be with the intention of using it as a 4wt.

Last edited by sageandonion; 01-20-2014 at 04:56 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:29 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

The progenitor to the WT I was referring to has no parts suggestive of broom handles (except the reel seat insert). Over-lining a soft tipped classic Winston might actually disqualify one from fishing with it. Ironically, were I to elect to fish my early 80's 8 1/2'/#6, I would probably start off with a modern 5.5-weight line like the new Gold. The tips are very easily collapsed on these early Tom Morgan designs and, as with any fly rod, this is to be avoided.

Burk, Have you introduced your friends in Michigan to the 8 1/2' Zeniths? And I would include the contemporary Loomis Streamdance GLX 8 1/2' rods in this elite, shorter presentation rod category too. These rods have subtlety in taper transition, absence from oscillation, superior tip recovery and greatly reduced mass relative to the Winston in my collection. I am inclined to suspect that the feel Morgan achieved in these earlier designs was somewhat influential on Rajeff and Croston when they dialed back their high performance designs to develop these sweet, smaller river rods.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:06 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
The progenitor to the WT I was referring to has no parts suggestive of broom handles (except the reel seat insert). Over-lining a soft tipped classic Winston might actually disqualify one from fishing with it. Ironically, were I to elect to fish my early 80's 8 1/2'/#6, I would probably start off with a modern 5.5-weight line like the new Gold. The tips are very easily collapsed on these early Tom Morgan designs and, as with any fly rod, this is to be avoided.

Burk, Have you introduced your friends in Michigan to the 8 1/2' Zeniths? And I would include the contemporary Loomis Streamdance GLX 8 1/2' rods in this elite, shorter presentation rod category too. These rods have subtlety in taper transition, absence from oscillation, superior tip recovery and greatly reduced mass relative to the Winston in my collection. I am inclined to suspect that the feel Morgan achieved in these earlier designs was somewhat influential on Rajeff and Croston when they dialed back their high performance designs to develop these sweet, smaller river rods.
The 8 1/2 4 weight Zenith was a rod that sold pretty good for me at Gates on the Holy Water, although the 9'4 and 9'5 sold better. And while I never had the chance to fish my sample, casting it, it definitely had some WT like qualities. One of the things that amazes me about the WT 8 1/2 5 is how much reserve it has. I can throw a good size bugger or small streamer with it in a pinch. Although you have to remember on the Holy Water 40-45' is a long cast.

Loomis has very little market presence in the MW. As far as I can recall from my latest travels on one fly shop in the territory (in Indy) carries Loomis. they make some great rods. but you just don't see them in the MW anymore since the Shimano purchase.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:12 AM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Winston: anyone recognise this model?

I have a 2pc. 9ft5wt winston wt with spigot ferrules.I use it primarily for small dries,size 22-30.