The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By krikau27
  • 1 Post By burk48237
  • 2 Post By krikau27
  • 1 Post By pszy22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 03:07 AM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road
Default Came across this article.

I like the down to earth perspective of this article. "How Good a Fly Rod Do I Need? - Fly Angler's Online - #133
I know it's from 2001, but I guess it still applies?
Let me know what you think.

Kim.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:34 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice
Default Re: Came across this article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krikau27 View Post
I like the down to earth perspective of this article. "How Good a Fly Rod Do I Need? - Fly Angler's Online - #133

Kim.
I would say it did apply. But the new technologies in fly rods is so far past that now that I'm not sure its even close to true anymore. There was certainly a point early in the graphite market where percentage of graphite and modulus defined the rod. And the resin was always the week spot in that development. It seemed that as you increased the modulus and percentage of graphite, you decreased the hoop strength and durability of the rod. But that is so 12-15 years ago.

The new resins (thermoplastic, nano silicate) have rewritten the formula. And high end graphite fabricators have basically thrown those old rules out the book. The new high end rods can be far more durable than even the old glass rods and they are amazing tools. It doesn't mean you can't catch fish with an old rod. Or that old technology is obsolete. What it does mean is that we can now do things technically with fly rods we could only dream about ten years ago.

Take a look at the Swing Weight verse Dynamic range thread on this page for an idea.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:25 PM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for clarifying it for me.

However I think I stay out of the thread you suggest. Theory is one thing, feel is another

About the article, I did recognize a few things. Fast and light is not always good. I realized that with Sage One. The rod is fast, stiff and very light. That combo really didn't do the trick for me.
In theory you would believe that combo would be perfect, but include feel and it's game over. We are all different and preferences are different.
I don't mind a rod has some weight to it. My current rod weighs double the amount of a Sage One. In theory that would be worse, but it's not. The action in this rod communicates to me and is not as stiff. In fact I just finished rolling 160meter backing to my Abel Super 7 and it's ready to be tested with my rod. Let me just say, it's not a light reel with shooting line and shooting head added.

Kim.
mcnerney and fly_guy12955 like this.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:04 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by krikau27 View Post

Kim.
Kim,

I can definitively answer the question you asked, but I'm not sure it's actually the question you have in mind.

As with everything in life, there is a huge difference between what I NEED vs. what I WANT.

Alot of people, have been catching alot of fish, centuries before today's technological marvels were ever even dreamed. Even a $25 Eagle Claw Featherlight rod exceeds what you need to catch fish. (As an aside, I actually enjoy fishing my $25 Eagle Claw.)

Answering what you need to fish is the easy part, answering what you want to fish is the harder part. For much of my fishing, I'm not sure I can argue that I would catch any more fish using a $700 dollar rod rather than a $25 rod. The $700 rod definitely feels different than the $25 rod. Does it feel better or worst, I'm not sure, I just know it's different.

For the sake of discussion, let's say it does indeed feel better, does it feel $675 better? Again, I don't know. I'm not sure anyone can answer that question for any of us, we can only draw our own individual conclusions.
krikau27 likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo