The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 04:20 PM

gbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nice
Default SAGE Z-Axis vs ZXL

Today I stopped in at my local fly shop and test cast the Sage Z-Axis and ZXL rods in size 864-4 with a DT-4-W line.

I thought that I would like the Z-Axis better as I thought I prefered fast action rods. Well, I ended up buying the ZXL which I would call a medium-fast action rod. Anyway, its slower than the Z-Axis and fits my casting style better.

So, the moral of the story is to test cast rods before buying them.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SAGE Z-Axis vs ZXL

Congrats on the new rod! I couldn't agree more about testing before you buy and there is nothing like a side-by-side test.

Larry
Old 08-03-2010, 05:42 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Bingo! I was fishing that exact rod on the Delaware River today, and threw a#6 foam hopper, the foam hopper with a weighted Green Weenie dropper, and
finally a 3 1/2 inch Clouser Minnow (bead chain eyes, not lead). I caught several smallmouth, and 3 small stripers. The rod makes catching bluegills fun, but rose to the occassion with a very large smallmouth in May, and an equally large brown trout in April. The Z-Axis does blast out line, but the ZXL handles wind just fine. Today's wind speeds were in the 12 mph range, and certainly more windy on the river. No problems.

I use SA's GPX line on my rod, and have also used SA's Mastery Trout (WF). The GPX delivers the line in all conditions, but allows for a delicate presentation. The Mastery Trout hasn't been tried in wind, but is even more delicate....maybe a bit too delicate for my tastes, which is why I've only used it twice. This is the rod I use 99% of the time, and for a wide range of fish.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:07 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Frank, the ZXL blank is really nice to fish with.

My 9'0" ZXL 4 wt. has become my go-to "5 wt.". It will do everything that my 9'0" Z-axis 5 wt. will do (except casting the long ball; where the Z-axis really excels) and it's a much more sensitive blank.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:48 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanker View Post
So, the moral of the story is to test cast rods before buying them.
So true. Enjoy your new toy.

MP
Old 08-07-2010, 05:25 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I just bought a new 490-4 Z Axis... but I REALLY liked the ZXL. I wanted the Z to fire out a lot of line, which is why I picked it up. But I still think about that ZXL... It's a beautiful rod too boot.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:23 PM

OwenRiverLodge will become famous soon enoughOwenRiverLodge will become famous soon enough

The ZXL has a very sweet action - a classic dry fly rod !
Murchison
South Island, New Zealand
http://www.OwenRiverLodge.co.nz

http://www.facebook.com/OwenRiverLodge
Old 09-01-2010, 06:34 PM

troutbum251 is on a distinguished road

I now have both a Z-Axis 9' 6wt and a ZXL 8'6" 4wt and absolutely love them both. Z-Axis can send tight loops well into the backing and yet is still very sensitive to strikes and just a dream in general. The ZXL will also cast nice loops but just wont throw heavy nymphs into the wind very well. The ZXL is my go to rod for dry fly fishing unless Im fishing some of the larger rivers here in Maine like the Saco,Kennebec and Androscoggin. Ive landed landlocked salmon in the 18-22 inch range on both rods and even the ZXL had no problem bringing them out of the current and into the net. In my opinion both rods are equally great at what they are intended to do but the Z-Axis is a do everything rod.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

It ought to work fine in the riffles on the South Fork fishing PMD's.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 09-12-2010, 05:27 PM

tyronefly is on a distinguished road

Even better would be to be able to fish both rods before buying. I find test casting in a parking lot in no subsitute for the real thing. The difficulty is finding a shop that will let you check out a rod for a few days.