The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 11:35 AM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about
Default Xi3.....Buy it or wait!

I am tempted to purchase an Xi3 in 8wt. and one in 10wt. but I am wondering if perhaps I should wait. I know as soon as I get them, they will be discontinued. That is how it always works for me!

I am anxious to see the replacement though!

Then again, the Biii-SX is tempting me!

I need to win the lotto!
Old 02-07-2014, 11:40 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Xi3.....Buy it or wait!

If thats how it ALWAYS works for you, then please buy it right away so I can buy it when it gets discounted as old news! Thanks!!
moucheur2003 likes this.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:01 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

There's a 10WT listed at the bottom of my 10WT wanted thread. No way I can buy another rod again today.
craigthor likes this.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:40 PM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: Xi3.....Buy it or wait!

I buy most of my rods on the big auction site. I shy away from Sage because used they still command a lot of $$ and the blanks are serialized so warranty coverage is a **** shoot. I try to keep my rod purchases below the $200 mark and there are still far too many great options to choose from. Just purchased my 10th rod this week. I have an addiction
dakotakid likes this.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:07 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
There's a 10WT listed at the bottom of my 10WT wanted thread. No way I can buy another rod again today.
I have a brand spankin' new, never been lawn cast NRX 10wt. with your name on it!

Seriously, its for sale!

Old 02-07-2014, 01:07 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

No one is telling me anything but logically the Xi series would be the next to receive the Konetic replacement treatment. For an external perspective see what G.Anderson says about Xi3 and SX in his most recent 8-weight shootout. I "want" a new 9'/#7 and 9, unfortunately my addiction is for the more sophisticated, US-built high price models.
fly2field likes this.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
No one is telling me anything but logically the Xi series would be the next to receive the Konetic replacement treatment. For an external perspective see what G.Anderson says about Xi3 and SX in his most recent 8-weight shootout. I "want" a new 9'/#7 and 9, unfortunately my addiction is for the more sophisticated, US-built high price models.
I just have that feeling that this is the last year of the Xi3. It's been around the longest of what remains and you are correct with the technology. Last one to have the G5 technology I believe.

Choices, Choices.....

I just can not get that SX out of my head. And it sure is purrty! Any personal experience with the SX yet?
Old 02-07-2014, 02:09 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Zero, and I agree Winstons are pretty. However, If Anderson is saying the positive things about NRX and Scott which I know firsthand to be accurate and is putting SX at the bottom of his list as a heavy clunker....I am inclined to believe him. I think they're clueless in Twin about the Salt.
gjq likes this.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Zero, and I agree Winstons are pretty. However, If Anderson is saying the positive things about NRX and Scott which I know firsthand to be accurate and is putting SX at the bottom of his list as a heavy clunker....I am inclined to believe him. I think they're clueless in Twin about the Salt.
Which is too bad!

Granted I'm not a rod designer, but one would think it shouldn't be that difficult to marry the materials to get that proper action for the Big Fly, Big Fish and Salt folks!

But then again, perhaps that is what makes a Rajeff, Seim and to an extent Bartschi rod so good!

I guess you really can't go wrong with any Sage product, for the most part! Now, to get over the snub nosed wells grip and actually embrace it. Along with the skinny @zz new tubes and blanks!
Old 02-07-2014, 02:59 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I think they're clueless in Twin about the Salt.
Maybe so, but if so, it's just the opposite of how they are in Livingston. I have gone bonefishing exactly once, but that seems to be the only thing Anderson judges the 8 weights for. In contrast with my 8 weights I've done lots of river fishing for salmon, lake fishing for bass, and inshore saltwater fishing for Northeast stripers, blues and bonito and Florida reds and snook. A few years ago he panned the Albright XX 8 weight because he didn't like how stiff it was with a WF8 line, but it's just the ticket for chucking weighted junk on a sinking line in the wind and horsing a stubborn 20 or 30 lb striper out of the rocks. (Same goes for the TFO TiCrX, another stiff rod that is a local favorite here in New England for stripers.) So although Anderson may be right to disdain the Winston for bonefishing, that may not be what it was meant for anyway.