The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By winstonwt
  • 3 Post By Jackster
  • 1 Post By cletus
  • 2 Post By sageandonion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 09:12 PM

furnaceb is on a distinguished road
Default Winston III LS

Has anyone had a chance to play with a rod from this series? I'm especially interested in the 9' 5wt. Can't seem to find any online reviews.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:29 PM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Winston III LS

Not yet,but probably will purchase one this summer to add to the 6 other winstons in my arsenal.
ghocevar likes this.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:25 PM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

Furnaceb,

I have not tried the LS, but I got a B3x last year in a 9' 5wt. and it is amazing. It is quite powerful, yet still has the Winston feel. I would definitely like to test cast the LS and compare it to the X.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:35 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonwt View Post
Not yet,but probably will purchase one this summer to add to the 6 other winstons in my arsenal.

Not to jump the thread, but have you thrown the Biii-SX and if so, how would you rate it to the Bii-MX?
Old 02-13-2014, 01:36 PM

furnaceb is on a distinguished road

I also have a Biiix (9' 4wt) and it is indeed a great stick. I'm assuming the LS is a slower action. It's remarkable that there are really no online reviews out there on this rod.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:58 AM

jastrout is on a distinguished road

Just wiggled, sorry not much info a 9'5 BIIIX LS and it "felt" very similar to my Winston IM6 8'6" 5 in flex. Wii lawn cast at end of the week. I still think Winston has been alittle quiet on rod releases and some thoughts expressed on this forum they lack a rod designer. True or not this felt like nice rod and esthetics of course incredible. Will get back with report latter.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:46 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jastrout View Post
I still think Winston has been alittle quiet on rod releases and some thoughts expressed on this forum they lack a rod designer. True or not this felt like nice rod and esthetics of course incredible. Will get back with report latter.
I once read where an interviewer ask a suit at Porshe why the 911 door hadn't changed in decades. "Because it is a very good door" was the reply.
Marketing many times dictates how many new rod series come out of a rod manufacturer. Sometimes the game gets so silly it makes one wonder why people bother buying 'the next best thing' when sure as shooting the next 'next best thing' soon hits the market to replace it and the prior best thing can be had a radically deep discounts. There is a lot to be said for stability in the market when you have a product that works and works well. It took decades for the other rod manufacturers big and small to come close to the magic that was the old Loomis GLX classic series. They were the lightest in weight by far for a long while and had range that allowed them to perform wonderfully short, far and anywhere in between. Part of the reason for the great feel and performance of those GLX's was they had a graphite scrim long before the bean counters allowed a few other manufacturers to give it a shot. The first outside of Loomis to have a graphite scrim was St. Croix and a while later others saw the light.
Even for the name droppers who have to have a recognizable name to consider a rod designed correctly, good rods get built all the time by less than high profile designers.
Don't let brand names or rod designers names stifle your search for the right rod for you, go out and cast as many as you can with the line you intend to use and the cream will rise to the top for your particular style of casting.
Looking for and finding the right rod for you is a whole lot of fun and once found that rod can bring a smile to your face years after you get it every time you use it.
It's a grand feeling indeed.
Enjoy the hunt!
cletus, coolhand and markfrid like this.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:23 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

Jackster is right on. As a fly-fisher, you may "date" many rods (some seemingly perfect for different phases of your life), you may "date" one your buddies love but which does nothing for you, you may "date" a rod you love but which your buddies detest, but finally you'll find a rod that's perfect for you, which lets you make the cast and reel in the fish you never thought you could do on your own. That's the rod you'll stick with no matter which new models come along.

Wait a second, was he talking rods or wives? What the heck site did I post to?
billyspey likes this.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:24 PM

coho52 is on a distinguished road

Haven't cast a BII-MX but can compare the BIIIX and BIII-SX.

I have the BIIIX in both 5 and 6 weights (9' 5wt, 9'6" 6wt). Great rod in both weights. Smooth and easy casting. I can get them easily out to 50 feet with no work, beyond that a bit more. Both are not the strongest in wind at distance, but given everything else they do, I don't care.

I also have cast a BIII-SX in 9' 6" 6wt and 9' 8 wt. Stiffer and much heavier than the BIIIX. Thought the 6wt was a bit livelier but it's a heavy stick and I found it somewhat more sensitive to the line used on it. Tested it with an Airflo 40+ F/I, Rio OB F, and RIO OB Short F. The Airflo 40+ was the easiest casting followed by the OB.Both loaded the rod well and even with the heavier rod it was almost fun casting (though not as much as the BIIIX). The OBS on the other hand was just no fun at all. Couldn't seem to get my casting working with it even with some changes in power, speed, and stroke length.

The BIII-SX 8 weight was an ungainly beast. There's no way that rod is an 8 weight and I have doubts if it's even a 9 weight. Couldn't get it to load at all with even a 9 weight Airflo. It really felt like the proverbial broomstick. Talked to one of the guides at the local shop and he had one and sold it (got a Radian).

I have green blood and likely always will - but it would be nice if Winston could correct the problems with the BIII-SX. George Anderson's reviews have nothing good to say about it; and it's difficult to find anyone else writing about it with anything but disdain.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:28 PM

sageandonion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by coho52 View Post
George Anderson's reviews have nothing good to say about it; and it's difficult to find anyone else writing about it with anything but disdain.

The BIIILS replaced the BIIt. George Anderson couldn't figure out how to cast a BIIt 30ft; said it was 'waaaay too soft'. Over in the UK we don't know who this guy is, but if that's the level of his appraisal of a fly rod, then I don't think we're missing much. I suggest you guys take his comments with a pinch of the proverbial.
mojo and mtbusman like this.