The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 10:32 AM

djjj is on a distinguished road
Default Custom Made Rods on Ebay

I recently saw a post from a John D Clark on eBay selling custom made rods. He also is listing a slew of chinese made reels which had a somewhat mixed review in these forums. He offers a 10 yr warranty which means he will fix or replace but I guess I have to take his word for it?

In general any thoughts on buying custom rods? I know probably not best considering I can't try one out on a grassy lawn somewhere... but I am on a budget and would like to invest most of my dough in a good reel and extra spool >.<
Old 03-02-2014, 10:40 AM

labtrout will become famous soon enoughlabtrout will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Custom Made Rods on Ebay

I would only buy a custom rod from a rod maker I know.
mcnerney and shotgunfly like this.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:56 AM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Are you referring to those Swagg aluminum reels?
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:03 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

From my experience the rod is more important than the reel and extra spool.

I won't buy a custom rod from someone unless:
  • I've cast the blank.
  • Bought the blank and sent it to them.
  • Researched the blank heavily they will build on.

Get past customer information and ask them about the experience they had, the quality of the build, how long it took.

Sadly you can HIDE a lot in photos by not showing a lot. Look for builders that take MACRO shots of wraps, guides, all the hardware and where it all meets.

And if you can, and they believe in their work, maybe they will send you a tester.

And don't always trust the fact that someone is an 'authorized' builder on a blank. That just says they use their blanks and may or may not do a fantastic job.

For me, buying a custom rod is about getting what I want…not paying for someone's inability to deliver on that desire. Essentially you're buying something you can't get off of a shelf. But I have realistic expectations, great work takes time and costs $$.

If you are wanting a custom rod and expecting to save money, well that to me sounds strange. I would expect a custom rod, finished as good as any production rod would be at least the same price, probably a bit more since you can pick out appointments. So you're not really saving money.

If you want custom, put the money in that.

What's a "GOOD REEL" $200? $300? $400? I would not put a several hundred dollar reel on a rod that costs less than the reel.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 03-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

djjj: I'm always suspicious when someone comes on the forum and makes a first post pitching some product.......makes it look like you are associated with that product in some way and are trying to generate additional customers.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a custom rod unless I knew the builder and his rep., certainly not something I saw on EBay.

Larry

Old 03-02-2014, 01:15 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I think I found the ones you are looking at and looked at a number of the rods. The listings don't say what blank they are made on. Pics are pretty good so you can get a look at wraps etc. Hardware seems decent, not sure which reel seats he is using. Cork is AAA rather than flor grade, I'm sure it works fine, personally if I'm going custom I'd want higher grade cork on a grip.

There were a couple things I noticed in the pictures, details that seem off and point to things not done as well as they could have been done. The wraps I could see seem fine, but on some of the female ferrules the wraps stop a good bit before the end. Not that hard to get wraps to the end of the ferrules. With the alignment dots I notice two things. On one rod the finish around a dot on one of the ferrule wraps is a different color, like there is a bubble there, looks that way in two of the pictures, from different angles making me think it isn't just a light issue in the picture. On another rod the dot on the male section looks like it is not inline with the guides, might just be the angle of the picture but I looked at it for awhile and it looks off. None of these would impact how you'd fish the rod, but they are noticeable details that are less than what I'd expect from someone selling custom rods. Make me wonder if there are other issues not seen.

Prices are very good, don't know where he gets his blanks and makes me assume other components are also less than top line like the cork. Personally for the money I'd get something from a known company - Allen has a rod line at $100 or one from Cabelas or spend a bit more an get an Orvis Encounter etc. If you want a custom rod then pay for a custom rod: get the best components, get wrap colors and hardware finishes you want, get it from a builder you know or who has a well known reputation. I'd guess the ebay rods would make fine fishing rods, but they don't seem to offer much over factory rods which come with an established company standing behind them.
craigthor likes this.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:35 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjj View Post
I recently saw a post from a John D Clark on eBay selling custom made rods. He also is listing a slew of chinese made reels which had a somewhat mixed review in these forums. He offers a 10 yr warranty which means he will fix or replace but I guess I have to take his word for it?

In general any thoughts on buying custom rods? I know probably not best considering I can't try one out on a grassy lawn somewhere... but I am on a budget and would like to invest most of my dough in a good reel and extra spool >.<
djjj, what kind of budget do you have in mind? What type of fishing will you be doing with this rod and reel. IMHO rod selection is the most important, finding a suitable reel for it is secondary. Buying a reel first is a little like buying a set of rims and then looking for a car to put them on! If you are in the market for a custom rod, do your research on the builder and ask lots of questions. Get references from those in the know. There are many builders to look at. The selection of a quality blank is the hardest part of having a rod built for you. The selection of all the other components is easy and endless. Don't expect to get away cheap but you don't have to spend a fortune either. I would agree with shotgunfly's comments, rod first, reel second and I wouldn't spend less on a rod than the reel.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:11 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Custom made rods + Ebay = Nahhh...I'll pass!
Old 03-02-2014, 08:29 PM

djjj is on a distinguished road

Well I've taken some advice from this forum and some friends and decided to get a reel off of ebay and rod from a local store where I can give the rod a shake first!

Thanks all

PS no I wasn't trying to draw attention to the ebay fellow's "store" was truly curious

PPS might post some reel (no pun intended!) questions next! haha
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:05 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjj View Post
Well I've taken some advice from this forum and some friends and decided to get a reel off of ebay and rod from a local store where I can give the rod a shake first!

Thanks all

PS no I wasn't trying to draw attention to the ebay fellow's "store" was truly curious

PPS might post some reel (no pun intended!) questions next! haha
Good choice! You might take a hard look at the rods that Allen Fly Fishing sells, they stand behind their equipment to make sure you are a satisfied customer, that isn't likely to happen if you bought a custom fly rod off EBay.

Larry