The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2014, 11:41 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Loomis NRX

Well, I pulled the trigger on a new G Loomis NRX 9ft 4pc 8wt "green" rod. I already have several 8 wt rods, an Orvis Helios (old model), from TFO the BVK, Mangrove, Axiom, and TiCrX, from Redington a Wayfarer, and lastly and older Loomis G3. I like them all for different reasons, and really had no need for a new rod, but I couldn't help myself. The NRX is getting such great press, the price was too good to pass up, and I had Christmas money burning a hole in my wallet. The new NRX will accompany me to Louisiana June 14th (redfish), and the to the Kvichak River in AK (Rainbows, Sockeye, and Kings on the Nushagak) on June 22. If that doesn't ring out the rod, not sure what will! I'll do a report on its performance, and I will have my trusty Helios and BVK along as back-ups.
imxer, mcnerney and comeonavs like this.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:24 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Loomis NRX

Congrats on the NRX. Not many 'Loomis fans I think here. I love them and have several. Good luck with your trip!

Cheers,
Craig
ulflyfisherman likes this.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:09 PM

gutterpunk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimloom View Post
Congrats on the NRX. Not many 'Loomis fans I think here. I love them and have several. Good luck with your trip!

Cheers,
Craig
Don't worry, Sweet&Salt, for good reason, counts for about a dozen NRX fans on this forum.

They seem to be known as a regional NW brand, more so than something like a Sage, maybe because they have a steelhead reputation? I'm sure S&S has written about it before, but maybe he can give another tutorial. I know they get great reviews on the salt flats too, just not as ubiquitous as some other brands.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:25 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
Well, I pulled the trigger on a new G Loomis NRX 9ft 4pc 8wt "green" rod. I already have several 8 wt rods, an Orvis Helios (old model), from TFO the BVK, Mangrove, Axiom, and TiCrX, from Redington a Wayfarer, and lastly and older Loomis G3. I like them all for different reasons, and really had no need for a new rod, but I couldn't help myself. The NRX is getting such great press, the price was too good to pass up, and I had Christmas money burning a hole in my wallet. The new NRX will accompany me to Louisiana June 14th (redfish), and the to the Kvichak River in AK (Rainbows, Sockeye, and Kings on the Nushagak) on June 22. If that doesn't ring out the rod, not sure what will! I'll do a report on its performance, and I will have my trusty Helios and BVK along as back-ups.
If you don't mind my asking... Where did you find an NRX at a price that was too good to pass up? Maybe a few more of us could get tempted too!?!

--Irish Blessing
Old 03-14-2014, 08:49 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Big fan of the NRX. Bought my first one this fall-10'9 weight and it's a beast. Smooth casting and impressive. It will not be my last.

As an aside. Green? C'mon man! If you're fishing a NRX ya gotta have the blue wraps!!!

Cheers
Mike
Old 03-15-2014, 12:54 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=ts47;648893]If you don't mind my asking... Where did you find an NRX at a price that was too good to pass up? Maybe a few more of us could get tempted too!?! [/QUOT

Perhaps "find" was a poor choice of words...... You see, I have this guide friend that is endorsed by G. Loomis......
mcnerney likes this.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:02 AM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

[quote=mrfzx;648939]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
If you don't mind my asking... Where did you find an NRX at a price that was too good to pass up? Maybe a few more of us could get tempted too!?! [/QUOT

Perhaps "find" was a poor choice of words...... You see, I have this guide friend that is endorsed by G. Loomis......
Ahh... lucky man!

--Irish Blessing
Old 03-15-2014, 06:17 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

I love Loomis rods and so do most folks who cast them.

Loomis has done a poor job for along time selling and marketing.

I can't ever find a shop who has an NRX in stock to cast. I really do not prefer to seek out a fly shop 300 miles away to look at a rod and no chance is anyone buying a $500+ rod sight unseen.

Sad for your other 8 wts..
fyshstykr likes this.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:06 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Homer: Congrats on that new NRX 8 wt, I'm sure you will put it to good use, looking forward to your trip reports as always!

Larry

Old 03-15-2014, 07:21 AM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice

I have over a dozen Loomis rods. I absolutely love them. My NRX 8wt is my go to rod on the flats. There is just nothing like it!! You picked a dandy of a rod. I've caught tons of bones, permit, snook, reds, jacks, etc... plus a few shark and tarpon that no 8wt should ever try to leverage in. It is one AWESOME rod. I've witnessed several rods break when a big fish hit it at the boat, e.g. BVKs, but despite all the ridiculous angles my 8wt has been bent into, it has not missed a beat. You're going to LOVE it. Congrats!
imxer, fyshstykr and mcnerney like this.