The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By labradorguy
  • 1 Post By sweetandsalt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 08:03 AM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice
Default Hardy Proaxis 9wt

Hey All. Just a head's up... I just picked up a Hardy Proaxis 1-piece 9wt at Sierra Trading Post for $275 (edit: $257) with free shipping. That was too good of a deal for me to pass up.

I've become a real fan of these 1-piece Hardy rods. Some don't like the 1-piece design, but it is a workable problem, and there is a HUGE difference in performance between the 1-piece and 4-piece Hardys.

I'm hoping that it will compliment my NRX 8wt flats rod nicely, especially on the days when the wind is ripping.

Dollar for dollar, I just don't know where you are going to find this kind of performance for under $300. Just my humble opinion of course.... Please don't flog me for that statement.

That is all. Now back to your regular programming...
moucheur2003 likes this.

Last edited by labradorguy; 03-20-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:43 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hardy Proaxis 9wt

Being addicted to bonefishing, I have a number of good, very good 8-weight rods. My #1 rod is NRX#8 mounted with a Nautilus NV Giga 8 and I used it last week whenever the wind was under 15 MPH. But we endured a windy week so my Proaxis #8 (4-piece) saw a lot of action. Its stiffer tip and serious power makes it my rod of choice when punching wind. I have Hardy's own Fortuna X on it for a full on Hardy power outfit. Assisting its performance profile, I have found two lines that suit it optimally (for the flats). One is Cortland's very slick and unusual technology Liquid Crystal Blue and the Bruce Chard designed, SA built in their Textured Series, aggressively tapered "Grand Slam".
fly2field likes this.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:12 PM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice
Default Re: Hardy Proaxis 9wt

Hello fellow addict. You read my mind on that post....

I'm thinking that the Fortuna X would be a sweetheart of a set up despite what G.A. has to say. The new reel that they are coming out with would be nice too, but for a 9wt chasing big fish, I'm thinking Fortuna X is the play.

For wind, I believe it will be a beauty. I'm also thinking that it will be a killer permit stick.

"Dem Bones dey be fun Mon, but deem beeg Permit, dems our drug..."

That 9wt Hardy ended up being $257. I just could not pass that one up. I'll never say anything bad about an NRX 8wt, ever.... I'm hoping that 9wt will fit in as a great 1-2 punch.