The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ia_trouter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2014, 05:14 PM

akuriko is on a distinguished road
Default Cabela's Prestige II fishing combo: is it any good?

Hello i been eyeing the Prestige II fishing combo with all the goodies for $169.99 and was curious if anyone has any info on it or if its any good?
Old 03-28-2014, 07:53 PM

xnykid will become famous soon enoughxnykid will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cabela's Prestige II fishing combo: is it any good?

yea, they are good. I forgot I have one that i bought when i started. I got the less expensive reel and at first thought I liked the reel but in short order I found the weakness in a more value type reel. the one you are looking at is ok and I think you would like it for a starter. the one thing I did't do right with that rod was I bought a 2 pc and with the modern materials today you don't have to. 4 pc rods cast great. I see they have a 804 4pc style and that would be my choice. 9' 5wt is the standard answer for learning but most of my fishing involves smaller fish,10 - 14", smaller streams and mostly ponds and small lakes. trout bass bluegills what ever bites. 5wt is just a bit bigger than I need and I think you can learn on a 4wt with decent action like the cabelas rod.
I will say that I don't think my rod came with a case and I spent another $24 for one that would hold the rod and reel. If that were the case and you are really going to spend $195 I might spend it another way, like a 4wt CT 8'6" $99, (includes case) the reel your looking at or similar $40, cabela puts reels on sale all the time, line is for sale now for $19 and some leaders and tippet will run you another $15. around $180..... might go that way.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:13 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

The lower priced Cabela's combos are serviceable enough to start. I bought my daughter one last fall. Casts well enough. Things I didn't like were the low end line and the rod cork is poor. If I put her combo together again and stayed Cabela's or not I would piece it together. They almost always have decent line and Wind River reels on sale anyway.
xnykid likes this.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:25 PM

xnykid will become famous soon enoughxnykid will become famous soon enough

+1 ia trotter, wind river reels are $19 and the standard floating line is $19 also, I agree, I would put my own combo together and add a ferruled leader.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:48 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Cabelas has several combos on sale right now. For that same $169.99 you can have the Cabelas RLS combo which includes floating line, backing and case.

Forgot to mention the RLS combo is an on-line only price, but you also get free shipping on combos until some time next week.