The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2014, 07:37 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Featherlight In Action

I'm going to continue to keep this thread alive this season with some of the fish that fall victim to this rod.

I've read reports that with the right cadence of false casts this rod actually hypnotizes the fish. It sends them into a catatonic state, mouth open of course, and flies just seem to fall into the corners of their mouths!

I think this just proves that fly fishing doesn't have to be as expensive as it could be and even people on a tight budget can get out there and do some serious work...

Early ice out on my local lakes and the sunnies are just starting to become active. Took some work but I got a few before the nasty front decided to move in

Click the image to open in full size.

There is actually an entire wooly bugger in his mouth.

People please feel free to add some of your own photos of these little gems of a rod in action
Old 04-15-2014, 09:01 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my Feather Light. It's from around 1967.
I had a 1963 model as well but I guess that I "gave" it to another forum member since he never paid me for it
They've been around for a long time. If I remember correctly, the first year of production for the Feather Lights was 1962

Old 04-15-2014, 09:19 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the share on a vintage featherlight, how generous you to "give" one away.

I think your signature can sum up the entire intent of this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart
Well played sir
Old 04-15-2014, 10:08 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

That sucks rip. That's why I send nothing without pay first. Everyone can seem like a saint on the interwebs. Doesn't mean they are.

Wright & McGill really liked that brown blank and green seat. They used it for a lot of models
Old 04-15-2014, 10:33 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhist_palm View Post
People please feel free to add some of your own photos of these little gems of a rod in action
Not alot of "action", but that's my 1963 W&M Feather Light .
A great 6'6" rod for tight spaces

itchmesir likes this.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:01 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I kind of want to get one the new ones with the nicer cork and the wood reel seat. Mine is fairly vintage, its got a solid brass seat and it looks like poo poo to me.
itchmesir likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-18-2014, 04:47 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

They are very nicely designed rods and a great value at $19.99. Couple it with a used Medalist reel and a non-named brand line and you can be fishing, and catching for under $50.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 04-18-2014, 04:53 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

And it walks on water! (Nice photo)

I've looked at these in store more than once. At $30 it almost feels like a joke, but I've always loved the yellow of the old Wright & McGills. My dad had a spinning rod in that hue, it's an old one and I thought it was pretty special when I got to use it.
buddhist_palm likes this.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:08 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

I have owned more than a couple of the 6'6.

Have given most away to friends and family that are starting out. I think I still have one with an inexpensive reel and some old peach Cortland on it.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:11 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

just now looking at mine..think I'll take'er to the lake tomorrow. Fine fine rod really. Muchh nicer EC than when I was a youngster. I think mine handles a 6wt line pretty good,,maybe a tad better than a 5..and might even toss a 7 alright.
pszy22 likes this.