The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temple Fork Outfitters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Dave, sounds like you are rushing your cast if you are cracking the whip. Did you have a leader on the line when you were casting in the yard? A leader might help with the snapping. The Professional model is a moderately fast action. I think if you let your cast un-roll a bit more you will eliminate the snapping. What tangle problems are you having? Frank

Agree totally, however I have the Pro (a 10' model however) and I find them more Med to med/fast.
That is the problem with fast rods. You tend to want to cast faster to get them to bend and loose you nice tight loops.
I have said it before, that fast (tip action) rods tend to cover up mistakes. I see more Windshield wipers on hi speed with tip flexes. Harder to feel the load up.
Stand side ways and watch your loops.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Agree totally, however I have the Pro (a 10' model however) and I find them more Med to med/fast.
That is the problem with fast rods. You tend to want to cast faster to get them to bend and loose you nice tight loops.
I have said it before, that fast (tip action) rods tend to cover up mistakes. I see more Windshield wipers on hi speed with tip flexes. Harder to feel the load up.
Stand side ways and watch your loops.
Hi Joni, that is a good point. Many times the length of a rod will change the action speed in that line of rods. I have a 8wt, 9' 6" Sage with Graphite III and it is much slower than my 9' Sage 8wt of the same model.--------Frank
Old 01-26-2007, 09:54 PM

ffffg is on a distinguished road

i was using leader.. . i dont like it. it wears me out very quick and is way too stiff.. but my son is in love with it, .. we mainly spool out about 25-50 feet of line with verry looong leaders and heavy sinkers and big floats, and watch for bumps on the bottom and set the hook.. so if doesnt break the leader it should work fine.. i really like and have few problems with my z axis 6wt two piece.. seems to fit my casting style or something.. tangle problems are simple knots in the yard, and the wind blowing back on itself on the river... i need lots of work on my casting, becouse im going to start dry fly fishing with tricos and midges and will need accuracy and presentation.. im not having much trouble with my orvis silverlabel 4 weight in this respect and will be starting with that this spring, with surface hatches and rising trout on the missouri .. dave
Old 01-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffffg View Post
i was using leader.. . i dont like it. it wears me out very quick and is way too stiff.. but my son is in love with it, .. we mainly spool out about 25-50 feet of line with verry looong leaders and heavy sinkers and big floats, and watch for bumps on the bottom and set the hook.. so if doesnt break the leader it should work fine.. i really like and have few problems with my z axis 6wt two piece.. seems to fit my casting style or something.. tangle problems are simple knots in the yard, and the wind blowing back on itself on the river... i need lots of work on my casting, becouse im going to start dry fly fishing with tricos and midges and will need accuracy and presentation.. im not having much trouble with my orvis silverlabel 4 weight in this respect and will be starting with that this spring, with surface hatches and rising trout on the missouri .. dave
Dave, if you are getting knots on your cast, you are probably over powering your cast. If you want to really learn fly casting you should get one of the teaching taps or DVD. Lefty Kreh has a new DVD out and it would be an excellent choice. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/Lefty-Kreh-on-.../dp/B0002D126G FRANK