The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2014, 01:54 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough
Default Mystic Fly Rods....

Hi All;

So I'm looking for a 7wt. and I'm thinking a 10'. Someone suggested the Mystic Reaper which can be found here Mystic Reaper Fly Rod yet I really don't know much about them and the reviews seem to be more vague than anything.

Does anyone have any experience with these or have heard from others they trust?

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:01 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Mystic Fly Rods....

If you scroll below to "Is there a big difference in fly rods" last page; I posted about lawn casting three very different rods including a Reaper #6.
grtlksmarlin likes this.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:44 PM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

i own a few mystics and my favorite trout rod is a mystic reaper! feel free to call and talk to the owner, he is a great guy and will tell you anything you want to know. i have redington, echo, tfo, custom glass, and have owned other +$300 rods and i can honestly say that the mystic reaper is right up there with them! i let a buddy cast my reaper recently on the tailwaters and he was sold. he's ordering a 5wt now
grtlksmarlin likes this.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:34 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
If you scroll below to "Is there a big difference in fly rods" last page; I posted about lawn casting three very different rods including a Reaper #6.
I actually read that before I posted, and I guess used to mid-flex rods it didn't nudge me firm enough to push me off the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbailes View Post
i own a few mystics and my favorite trout rod is a mystic reaper! feel free to call and talk to the owner, he is a great guy and will tell you anything you want to know. i have redington, echo, tfo, custom glass, and have owned other +$300 rods and i can honestly say that the mystic reaper is right up there with them! i let a buddy cast my reaper recently on the tailwaters and he was sold. he's ordering a 5wt now
Thanks for the reply, it helps but is still not quite the push I'm looking for. Actually, the owner is the last person I want to speak with before buying a rod. It's not a bad price so definitely not a huge risk. But I've had so many Orvis rods it's tough to break the habit (though the cost of even their mid-level now is prompting me to look elsewhere).....Maybe i need to find a ten step program?

In any case, I suppose what would push me off that fence is reading about an Orvis convert who can give me a side by side comparison....Fact of the matter is though that besides your response every response I have read, including those from store owners has been pretty vague.

Thanks again!

B.E.F.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:10 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

The Reaper we have is a very fast rod with a stiff tip...un-Orvis like. A power rod not a sensitivity rod.
mrfzx and grtlksmarlin like this.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:08 PM

Thanks guys.....S&S, that last really has me backing off yet what I think I need to do is (like duh) is find a store that carries them and give em a heave or two.

Thanks again!

B.E.F.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:03 AM

thepharmacist is on a distinguished road

I have a 10ft 7wt Reaper. I bought it in an emergency one day because I broke my only Steelhead rod at about 8 AM one day and planned to fish the next 2 days on the Lake Erie tribs... I walked into the closest shop and knew I wanted to get a price point rod. Since that day I've gotten away from price point rods and convinced myself I needed more higher end rods and I've bought quite a few... This summer I bought a Helios 2 10ft 7wt and to make up for it I thought I'd dump a few of my lower end rods on Craigslist. When going through them I couldn't bring myself to sell the Reaper for what it would bring on the used market because it is way nice for the money. As a non-expert holding a helios2 and Reaper side by side I cannot notice enough difference to make the Helios be worth 3-4x as much $ as the reaper...especially for chucking eggs and splitshot at Lake Erie Steel. I still have the Helios but if times get tough I will sell the Helios and make a house payent and take the Reaper fishing. Advertising...message boards...long winters make me buy more rods I do not need. Sometimes that's as much fun as fishing.

Also I broke the Mystic rod totally my fault and they mailed me the section pretty much instantly...

I'm in the market for a 9ft 6wt as we speak and close to picking up one of the high end newest $800 rods but probably should just get a reaper! I won't be happy though unless I get "the best" according to people on the internet.

I'm sure this didn't help you but It's a good story anyways right?
BigJim2x and grtlksmarlin like this.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:00 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
In any case, I suppose what would push me off that fence is reading about an Orvis convert who can give me a side by side comparison
Orvis men that would recommend another rod suffer from, at the least, a mild form of dementia or at the worse of the other end,,, demonic possession and intend you evil. Either way, they are no longer to be trusted.

OK, OK,,,just a'funnin'....I don't really believe in mild dementia
mrfzx and grtlksmarlin like this.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepharmacist View Post
...........I'm sure this didn't help you but It's a good story anyways right?
Actually, it says quite a bit and is more of what I am looking for....However, let me ask you this. All of my rods I've somewhat kept in the "mid-flex" range of things, and been very happy with that as it makes for a nice balance IMO....Your using the Helios as a comparison point tells me quite a bit. That said, would you rate the Helios or Reaper as stiffer?

(Frankly I personally, right or wrong, believe that everyone moving to ultra fast tapers and multiple piece rods is really simply a result of manufacturing moving away from craftsmanship. IOW, multiple piece rods make for cheaper mfg., and making only one or two legs do the work makes it all just that much easier and cheaper.

Mid-flex rods (as vague as that is) came at a time when there was a nice balance of craftsmanship coupled with new and exciting materials as they had just begun to produce "tip-flex" versions....However, those older versions required some very clever design and manufacturing. That "feels" (doesn't mean it has been) like design effort has been chucked out the window......4 or more pieces to make cheap, and why make the effort to have a smooth transition when we can just make the end do the work....right or wrong as that may be.)

B.E.F.

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
Orvis men that would recommend another rod suffer from, at the least, a mild form of dementia or at the worse of the other end,,, demonic possession and intend you evil. Either way, they are no longer to be trusted.

OK, OK,,,just a'funnin'....I don't really believe in mild dementia

Maybe the voices in my head are just not working right....Is that what you're saying?

B.E.F.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:40 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Waiting for Sweet & Salt's reply to this one...