The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 04:33 PM

chott2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best rod for throwing articulated streamers?

I'm talking about size 4-1 articulated flies with lead eyes for big browns. Most of the time tied pretty bulky.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:50 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

no rod is a best rod and that is the answer

for what you posted I would go with a 8-9 rod like the FlyLogic

there are scores of rods that would work

will you have the chance to cast various rods?
Old 04-16-2014, 04:52 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

A rod purpose designed for such fishing is the St.Croix "Bank Robber" in either 6 or 7-weight. I don't own one (but would like to) but have test cast one and was impressed. It employs the 3M Nano-silica resin technology for ruggedness and impact resistance, has a very powerful and fast taper, is a cool pale gray color and was a fun rod to cast. Kelly Gallup, the famed Slide Inn on the Madison R. big streamer slinger, was involved in the development of this rod to add to its credibility. And its made in America.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:50 PM

chott2 is on a distinguished road

I have a chance to test cast a decent amount. I was just trying to see what everyone likes and has put a great amount of time on the water with rods doing this type of fishing. I've never cast the bank robber but have heard good things about it.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:26 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

What you should be looking for is a quality faster action 6 or 7 weight in a 9' to 10' length depending on the payload that you intend to throw and length preference.

My main trout streamer rod is a 9 foot 6 weight Sage Z-Axis.

If I was looking for a current rod, I'd give the following a good look:
- Sage One
- Hardy Zenith
- Scott Radian
- Winston B3x

There are faster rods out on the market, but they just don't seem to match my stroke. If you need to cast some of the uber fast rods, look at:
- Sage Method
- Winston B3sx

Good luck on your search.

Dennis
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

My main streamer rod is a 7 wt Sage Z-Axis and it does a pretty decent job of throwing the big articulated streamers. If I was going to buy a new rod, I'd look at a Sage One or Method, maybe an Orvis Helios2 in tip flex, a Scott Radian or the St.Croix "Bank Robber" in no particular order.

Larry
MoscaPescador likes this.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:12 AM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

My Sage XP 590 is my go-to streamer rod, throw some with my TFO BVK 7wt when they're really big, but would love to have a 691 or 790 XP. Would love the chance to fish a Bank Robber too, I'll bet they're pretty sweet.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:33 AM

klunker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chott2 View Post
I'm talking about size 4-1 articulated flies with lead eyes for big browns. Most of the time tied pretty bulky.
I do the same type of thing. Lake Run Browns, over 30", over 20lbs. 7-8" streamers. Swinging or in most cases stripping the fly back in.

I use a 7 wt switch or a 9ft 8wt. either one is a min. as far as I'm concerned. If I had to do it over again I'd go with a 8 wt switch rod. Brand doesn't really matter.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:47 AM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

a fast 6wt! if you have the cash...a St.croix bankrobber but if you are on a budget definitely the redington predator! i own the predator and it is my main streamer stick.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:58 AM

hellerhighwater has a spectacular aura abouthellerhighwater has a spectacular aura about

I like my Scott S4 a lot for throwing the big stuff. You might still be able to find one on clearance. Or, as others have mentioned, go with a switch rod.