The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 10:27 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Best rod for throwing articulated streamers?

I just returned from a fishing trip where lots of streamers were thrown. I was testing some new streamer leaders so I continued to increase the size of the streamer as the day went one. I was using a 9'-6" 7 wt Sage One. I am sure there are better Streamer rods out there, but I will say that I was very impressed. On short casts, it was very accurate and it handled the long cast like a champ. The leader I was throwing was short 36” fluorocarbon furled leader with 18” of 12lb. Fluoro ending in a small micro swivel. The fisher than attaches only 12”-14” of tippet to the swivel. I was truly impressed how well this leader system turned big nasty flies. We got into many big browns yesterday on both white and brown articulated streamers. We were fishing a tail-water, the water was raised the morning we arrived so the color was very off and the fish were hunkered down. We were able to coax many a big browns out of the depths with large streamers. Some days you have to leave the dry fly’s in the box.
mridenour likes this.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 04-23-2014, 11:02 AM

chott2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best rod for throwing articulated streamers?

Thanks for all the feedback!! I have a winston biiix 9' 7 wt and really like it just looking for another rod in 6 wt to add to the arsenal for strreamer browns and smallmouth bass.