The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 10:59 AM

chott2 is on a distinguished road
Default Best rod for throwing articulated streamers?

If you could pick any rod for throwing articulated streamers which one would it be?
Old 04-16-2014, 11:25 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best rod for throwing articulated streamers?

What fish are you targeting?

What size fly?

Is the fly sparsely tied, or is it tied bulky?

Is the fly weighted?

I will use anything from a 4 weight to an 8 weight for a streamer rod. I am assuming that you are fishing freshwater.

Dennis
bigjim5589, mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:39 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Yeah, you are going to need at least four streamer rods. Just sayin'.
mcnerney and itchmesir like this.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:59 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Chott2, your question is really too broad & general to give an accurate answer. Plus, we all favor different brands & specifications for our rods. If you give some additional information, as MoscaPescador's post indicates, some suggestions could be made. Keep in mind that what's best for one person may not be best for another as we all cast the same rod differently too.
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 04-16-2014, 01:48 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Good answers above but if I had to toss in just one possibility it would be an 8wt 10 foot rod. As to which one? The 'Eye of the Beholder.' (That's an old movie that was a required watch for all of my staff.)
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:53 PM

tyler_durden will become famous soon enough

A spinning outfit?

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2014, 02:03 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_durden View Post
a spinning outfit?

Sent from my bntv600 using tapatalk
oh no you didn't!!!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:17 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Quote:
A spinning outfit?
Works fine for jigs, but we are talking about flies, right?
mcnerney likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 04-16-2014, 02:38 PM

tyler_durden will become famous soon enough

t'was a joke. But like all jokes there's a kernal of truth buried somewhere in thar

I love pounding the banks with a huge streamer as much as the next guy but when I take my dad along with his spinning gear throwing rapalas (single barb pinched down of course) we catch the same number of fish and he's working a whole lot less. Our techniques are very similar also...I don't have to reel all the way in for every cast but he doesn't have to double haul.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:06 PM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough

My streamer rod is,now don't shoot the messenger,a winstonb2mx 6wt.It throws size 2-8 streamers excellent and handles sink tip lines very well.What you choose or anybody else on this forum is your choice.In plain and simple talk it works great.
mcnerney and timd like this.