The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By furnacefella

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 06:30 PM
Business Member

tridentfly is on a distinguished road
Default Clarifying the new G. Loomis Warranty

Loomis has always made a fantastic rod, but they’ve been lambasted in the internet for their warranty.

So, we’ve understandably gotten a lot of questions about this, and wanted to clarify it for our customers.

Please read Clarifying the new G. Loomis Warranty / Trident Fly Fishing
Old 04-20-2014, 09:57 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Clarifying the new G. Loomis Warranty

In my view that's as "muddy" as they have always been.

Just bought a Sage One 8wt - 9', didn't even pick up the G.Loomis even though they have rave performance reviews.

I've dealt with Sage and they Lack the "if, and, buts" in their warranty or service program.

IMHO there have been no changes in G. Loomis' attitude.

Pete A.

Last edited by pete a; 04-21-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:19 AM

furnacefella will become famous soon enoughfurnacefella will become famous soon enough

1.If you break a rod, and it’s a warranty issue, you can send it in and get it fixed for free.
2.If you break it, and it’s NOT a warranty problem, (ie it met it’s match in a car door), you can use the Xpeditor service for a fixed fee (about $100, depending on the rod), and get a new rod in 3 days!
3.If you break it AGAIN, you can still use the Xpeditor (technically a one time deal). Loomis is going to be honoring this for future breaks, BUT will be checking to make sure you’re not abusing the program and just trying to get a new rod.

I had never looked at their warranty before and I must say it is far from clear and not very impressive.

No. 1 basically says they can decide to warranty for free or charge for the service.

No. 2 gives them the option to charge a hundred dollar for a section of rod that costs the company less than half of that.

No. 3 says "technically" they may do nothing at all if you break a rod more than once.

I can't imagine so many people trying to defraud them via warranty that they had to implement such a warranty policy. Are we not already paying for warranty when we drop this kind of money on top end rods?
fredaevans likes this.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:52 AM

pfm is on a distinguished road

I know I'm slow but what are you saying? Is it is or is it ain't?
Old 04-21-2014, 12:49 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

# 2 is the bit that got my attention ... for different reasons.

"If you break it, and it’s NOT a warranty problem, (ie it met it’s match in a car door), you can use the Xpeditor service for a fixed fee (about $100, depending on the rod), and get a new rod in 3 days!"

So they don't repair the broken rod they just send you a brand new one? Cool to get back in gear in three days (warranty repairs can take FOREVER!), but for one hundred bucks? An indication what the real mark-up on these things?

Actually $100.00 is not a bad deal for a replacement 'NIB.'

Minor edit: Do you have to send the broken rod into them?
Old 04-21-2014, 04:06 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
# 2 is the bit that got my attention ... for different reasons.

"If you break it, and it’s NOT a warranty problem, (ie it met it’s match in a car door), you can use the Xpeditor service for a fixed fee (about $100, depending on the rod), and get a new rod in 3 days!"

So they don't repair the broken rod they just send you a brand new one? Cool to get back in gear in three days (warranty repairs can take FOREVER!), but for one hundred bucks? An indication what the real mark-up on these things?

Actually $100.00 is not a bad deal for a replacement 'NIB.'

Minor edit: Do you have to send the broken rod into them?

Yes.

With the Xpeditor program, they send you a new rod and when you receive the new rod, you place your broken rod in the package that the new rod arrived in and you send it back to them. If the broken rod is not received within 30 days, I believe, you will be charged full boat for the new rod.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:45 PM

lycokayaker is on a distinguished road

once again it doesn't pay to be a procrastinator..... I purchased last year a NRX and Pro 4x and haven't sent in my warranty stuff for the Wild Card which I see has gone by the way side...... Being lazy strikes again

Old 04-21-2014, 05:50 PM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough

Still not in the same league as TFO or Orvis. Now those boys know how to warranty their products.