The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 04:18 PM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road
Default 9'6"?

What are the advantages of these length rods? Do you feel they are better than 9' rods in some situations?

Kim
Old 04-17-2014, 04:43 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: 9'6"?

Primarily line control and mending...the extra inches let you keep a lot of line off the water. I have a 9'6" 5wt and just picked up a Sage RPL 10' 6wt just for those reasons.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:48 PM

smilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nice

It's funny growing up all my rods were 8 1/2- 9' they work great for most situations. My first 9 1/2 rod I bought for nymph/indicator fishing I fell I love with it quickly. It's was easier to cast, mend line and kept more line off the water when high sticking. It's easier when fishing from a boat especially a drift boat.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Kim,

Like many a fly fisher I have had my 9' rods and thought that was all I would ever need or want. When you have room for a 9 foot rod why not go for more? I have had 9'6" rods and do believe they were better than my 9s. If you have the room why not a 10 or even an 11.5' switch? I have them all the way to 15' and find that the longer the rod the easier the cast and line control come.

Ard
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-17-2014, 04:58 PM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

Being a coastal fly fisher all of my rods are 9'. Was wondering if I might missed out on something with the 9'6"?
I would love to have all sizes, but that's too big a jump for the amount of money available :-)
But if I understand you guys correctly, you think they are easier to cast with? Mending is not so important in my fishing :-)

Kim
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

On of the new super light 10' rods from Hardy like the Marksman series should be much better than what ever 9' rod you are using. I am going to get 2 of them for use with my business this season because I think they will be easier for people to cast with. You may like other brands, I have had good results with Hardy so I will get more.

Ard
mcnerney and comeonavs like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-17-2014, 06:43 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I have used a G.Loomis IMX 9'6" 6wt for 25 years and love this rod. The extra length in a tube when or where ever you need it is handy. I have a 10' Greys rod in 5wt, great stuff when you need reach.

Cheers,
Craig
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:43 PM

bwf is on a distinguished road

Everyone is different. I like the 9'6" for steelhead/salmon on rivers, other than that I stick to 8-9' rods. I have a ten footer that hardly gets used. I found for me at least, that 9'6" is doable but 10' rods can become tiresome after hours of casting.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:21 PM

irons is on a distinguished road

A 9'6" rod would not be good for tight quarters on smaller streams though.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:30 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
On of the new super light 10' rods from Hardy like the Marksman series should be much better than what ever 9' rod you are using. I am going to get 2 of them for use with my business this season because I think they will be easier for people to cast with. You may like other brands, I have had good results with Hardy so I will get more.

Ard
The Marksman was the first 10' rod I ever cast. My buddy bought one Jan 2013 and I fished it in the spring. Once I used it for 30 minutes I knew I had to have the 10' rod in my quiver.

The Marksman is quite nice relative to its $800 competitors

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by irons View Post
A 9'6" rod would not be good for tight quarters on smaller streams though.
Not to be a jerk but I am starting to disagree with this thought process lately. Specifically in nymphing situations. Dry fly I agree with you, but nymphing on small tight quarter streams I find I roll cast a lot. I also tend to just "dap" which is just picking it up and literally placing the fly where I want it. A 10' rod for that to my way of thinking and fishing has its advantages....dang it I just convinced my self I need a 10' 3wt

"Snap it" Hank Patterson