NRX 8'8" 3wt. LP ?

bear 007

Reaction score
I could use a new 3wt., I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this rod, it sounds interesting. I've never had the chance to throw one of these light presentations NRX's.

mysticm

Reaction score
I played with the NRX LP 8'8" 3wt for a week-end last Fall. I compared it head to head with the Hardy Zenith 9' 3wt, so my comments are relative:
Fly Line: The NRX LP loved the Mastery Trout WF3F, could also work with a DT3F line. Felt awful with a GPX WF3F, so the heavier lines are not a good fit. the Zenith felt really good with the Rio Gold WF3F.
Close In Casting Range: Supple tip and progressive bend in the top half of the rod allowed very accurate casting up close (< 20 ft), while the Zenith felt stiffer than the NRX LP at this range. Both the rods have very sensitive blanks but the NRX LP felt a tad more sensitive. Smoothness was about equal.
Distance Casting: With a smooth cast, the NRXLP could bomb it since it builds serious line speed. It was a tad (very small) easier to cast long with the Zenith.
Just based on on water experience, would consider the Zenith slightly more capable of casting / lobbing medium sized heavy nymphs while the NRX LP was in the zone with a dry dropper, dry or light nymph rigs.

If I had the extra budget I would have bought the NRX LP but instead decided to get a longer 10' 3wt Zenith since I wanted to give Euro nymphing a try & because the Zeniths were being discounted quite a bit.

Hope this helps.

lycokayaker

Reaction score
Check out the Pro 4x.... I have one and really like and saved a lot of money. Casted the NRX and choose the Pro 4x over it.

mysticm

Reaction score
It helps allot, thanks, I think I've got a gold on my reel now, that's to much for that rod?
The gold should be fine as well.....I just preferred the SA Mastery Trout over the gold on the NRX LP for my casting style. I have found that the SA line taper works for the type / distance I generally fish.

onthehunt

Reaction score
The gold should be fine as well.....I just preferred the SA Mastery Trout over the gold on the NRX LP for my casting style. I have found that the SA line taper works for the type / distance I generally fish.

Good stuff and on par with my experiences.

It took me all of about 15 seconds to fall in love with this rod. Granted, I was familiar with most Loomis products, as well as Sage and a few others. Seriously, within 15 seconds I knew I'd own the rod and where I'd be fishing it.

It is a very comfortable rod to hold, it generates a lot of line speed and it has surprising back bone for larger fish. As stated, the tip is nice and soft allowing for very gentle presentations in close. It is also great at protecting light tippet and late surging fish.

As for lines, I have gone back and forth between RIO and SA and find myself preferring the current SA lines. I also fish my LP's with the standard SA Master Trout Taper, with the exception of the 3 weights. For those rods I like the SA Mastery VPT.

If you are asking about this rod and you have not cast it yet, go cast it.....

You will take it home!

Let us know the outcome.